Establishing Property Line For A Fence

One other thing to check into: Some communities have no restrictins on fences in back yards, but prohibit fences from the backyard forward towards the street. It's a pretty common restriction.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Around here they are 3/4" rebar 18" or 24" long (I can't recall) and are pounded flush with the ground at initial set. They have a plastic cap, color varies, with the surveyors name printed on it. Over time they tend to be lower in the ground as landscaping and sediment occurs. More than 5 years after the fact you would be lucky to find the cap let alone read it.

Most locate services use a metal detector in the general area they believe the boundary to be and then dig when they find metal.

Front line boundaries are more difficult because they are generally referenced, depending on locality, from the center of the roadway or from the curb. Curb pins are usually nothing more than a PK nail nailed into the curb. They don't last long. You can check this by locating your rear boundary and measuring towards the street the distance referenced on your plat. Your tape will not provide the same accuracy as the surveyors equipment, (grades affect this more than flat land).

An interesting side story. A few years back, a neighbor and I were having a discussion over who owned a retaining wall that fell. I was and still am sure that it was his wall even though I spent a lot of money and time rebuilding it. The property was platted in 1906 on the side of a sharp hill. Using modern methods and equipment I owned that d&%$ wall. I think they used chains in 1906. By that method the wall would have been his. I refrained from asking the surveyor if he thought the original surveyor used the same model as he did.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

BTW, how do the iron stake look like and how deep (or length of stake) it stake into the ground?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim B

Most likely not. A licensed surveyor could.

Most modern starting point references also include a latitude-longitude reference.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks!

I like to find the stake at the corner of our property. This is the "starting point" for the fifty plus homes subdivision. The "stake" is on a higher ground (2' to 4') beside a ditch and pebble's road to leading to my neighbors' farm. The areas have since eroded, with yours and DanG description, I doubt could find the stake now.

BTW, the houses here were built in the early eighties.

Reply to
Jim B