Establishing Property Line For A Fence

Page 2 of 3

How's mischief night at your house?
Kathy wrote:

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I did). It doesn't read to me like HE sent the letters, rather, letters were sent by the township or whoever regulates that type of thing in his community.
-- Jennifer
Jennifer wrote:

But HE (inadvertantly or not) caused them to get the letters. I'm sure he's not favored very well in the 'hood.

So, what should he have done? Sit tight and done nothing, not asked the town, what? If their building was against code, how is it *his* fault? Oh, I know, honor among theives, he's supposed to help them hide their violation.
I peeved a neighbor when I pointed out to the town that a storm drain was completely clogged. Water would jump the curb, running diagonally across my front yard, then down my other neighbor's yard, causing subsidience damage to a front walkway I had, etc. The town came in and dug the new storm drain between our properties - that's what easements are for.
The neighbor never talked to me again. Gosh darn, not only were some softwood trees removed from the easement area, the town also noticed his failing septic when they were back there. He had to replace it. I always wondered - what else the heck was I supposed to do - tolerate ongoing water damage to help him hide his septic?
Banty (looking lovingly at the For Sale sign that went up a month or so ago on said neighbor's front lawn)
No...I had nothing to do with it. If people think the village doesn't know what is going on, they are saddly mistaken. Fences are very visible structures. THe building department had just gotten swamped during a growth phase and couldnt keep up with everything. As soon as they caught up, the letters went out. The town went from 8000 people to 18000 people in a span of 5 years. They werent quite prepared for it.

Usually --
Where the fence cost is shared between neighbors, the fence is built on the property line. Where one wants a fence and the other won't, or can't share the cost, the builder constructs it within his own property. Since wall thickness including footings is commonly no more than one foot, it is common to offset the fence six inches so that no part is on the neighbors property. This generally eliminates the need to get his concurrence with the need for, and type of construction. Consult city staff and any local CC&Rs for local requirements as to type, extension toward the street, height, ---- SJF
people in this group are very confronational. there is a simple solution.
go talk to the neighbor. show him where the line is as you see it. show him where you are going to build the fence. then get him to sign something that says he agrees to have the fence there.
worry about problems if they actually arise.
randy

I doubt if the neighbor will sign anything. Put yourself in his position. Will you do it? Even if that happens, how does the document with signatures going to change the property lines delineated in the deeds. If the document is not consistent with the deeds, it is useless.

Surveys around here run about $300, but having one is a sure way to avoid any disputes later. I'd find the rods myself, then make sure the fence is a couple inches inside the property line.
My fence & neighbor tale... I had a tall healthy looking elderly one armed neighbor behind me tell me quite loudly my bushes were sticking through my horz shadow box fencing onto his property - he had walked into my garage while I was under a car with my legs sticking out & quite greasy .... I instantly popped out and politely apologized and said I'll fix it right now . Stopped what I was doing and trimmed the bushes - some, very few small bushy limbs fell onto his property - he returned and complained rudely I offered to come clean up - No!. Maybe a yr or two later same ordeal - I asked to access his side of fence, he said no - Told me I should get rid of that fence as it ruins his view. again; Complained some clippings fell on his side.
He had a row of bushes along the fence on his side too ... they were always poking though and I never would have even considered complaining until he hires a guy with a pickup truck to wrap chain around all his bushes and a running yank to remove all of his bushes, some had branches poking thru the fence and they were yanking out lots of those horizontal cedar slats. I got there about the time he was near finished and yelled at the guy to stop - The neighbor comes out and grabbed a fence post and I swear if he had two arms he would have yanked that post loose and pummeled me with it .. he was angry as heck I complained to him about the fence damage ...that ruins his view of my house & back yard.

bumtracks wrote:

Where I live, what grows over my property is mine. Tree limbs and shrubs over my line are mine to trim and clean up, unless one has an agreement that neighbor trims both sides of his hedge. It is also against building code here to mutilate trees, so "revenge" tree trimming would not work.
Picking up a piece of lumber and threatening someone comes close to assault. I would keep my distance, and invite him to leave your property immediately if he comes back - call the cops if you have more trouble. Restraining orders don't cost much. Sounds like a miserable guy - does he live alone?
Norminn wrote:

Sounds like angry one arm nut case. He'll lose another arm some day if he does not change. Glad I never had neighbor like that in my life time. Tony
$300 is cheap and I always thought it will cost upward to 1K, BTW, where are you?

I paid $100 for the survey company to come out and stake out the lot.
iradi8 wrote:

bids from surveyors for $1600. I just wanted to know where the corners are. I found out that I own about 100 feet further back into the conservation land than I had assumed. It's a little hard to get to but I have to pay tax on it anyway. The Town wouldn't let me give it to them because it would leave the piece with my house less than the required size!

assuming your property is adjacent to another property owner's land:
you could build it without the other property owner's permission but if you do so you will pay for the entire fence, if you build it right on the property line the neighbor coul contest it, if you build it right inside the property line on your side and it ever needs replacing you pay 100% for replacement,
otherwise you both agree to pay 1/2 and agree on the kind of fence
survey update for fence line would be a good idea, neighbor could split the cost of that too
James Madison III wrote:

If you can find 4 rods at 4 corner of the lot with metal detector or digging around, that's it. You already have a drawing to guesstimate where the spots are. Good luck, Tont
I moved into my house a year ago and wanted to put in a fence all the way around my property. The original survey company wanted $100 per corner to put iron stakes in. I found out that this propery was subdivided from a larger lot when the house was built in 1990 so I figured the stakes were already there. After a couple swipes with a rake, I got out the hose and started spraying with a hard stream. After about 2 minutes I saw a bright yellow cap on the iron stake. I repeated the process at all corners. By the way, I got the general area of the corners by measuring from the first stake per my survey's measurements.
Bobby
.

Sounds like you have a the normal small sub division lot.. and it was surveyed 10 years ago and as usual they (The survayers) have left 9 iron (markers) in place.... .
Grab the copy of the survey and look for some of those markers... My home was built almopst 40 years ago and a few years ago I found the markers that I needed in almost no time at all... In ten years they should be easily found...
Then you can install the fence (as per local codes..set backs etc)
I truely have fantastic neighbors but I sure would not sign off on a project for them that could affect my own property nor would I expect them to sign off on one for me....
Bob Griffiths.
BTW, how do the iron stake look like and how deep (or length of stake) it stake into the ground?
Thanks