escutcheon installation (

Adrian:
AM> I have to install escutcheons around the 1/2" copper pipes AM> for my toilet and sink, and also around the shower arm. I AM> expected these escutcheons to hold tight to the pipe but I AM> discovered that they are actually loose and slide around AM> easily. What is the usual way of installing the escutcheon? AM> Do I put caulk behind it to hold it to the wall? Put caulk AM> around its edge to hold it to the wall? Or is there some AM> different procedure that is appropriate?
AFAIK they're mostly decorative, used to hide the hole the pipe is coming through. Use a spot of caulk inside to keep the plate in place, like a glue. Applying caulk to the perimeter usually looks sloppy.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* SONGS FROM THE HOSPITAL HIT PARADE: "Red Cells in the Sunset"
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:33:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

Using a small amount of polyurethane foam in the hole, simply press the escutcheon to the wall and tape down till the PU hardens. Provides a fixing and a vermin barrier all in one. And no 'sealants' required.
BTZ