ERV retrofit

I've been considering adding an energy recovering ventilator to my old house; since we spent so much time and effort leakproofing it, the air is now often stale, and the fireplace won't draw.
I did a search, and there are many companies making them, but of course they all claim to be the best, and I don't know enough about them to evaluate them, much less to decipher which ones will last longer and be easier to maintain.
Please post any advice on the benefits/detriments of these, what I should look out for, and which manufacturers offer the best reasonably priced units.
Our house is about 900 square feet per floor, with heating/AC ventilation to the basement, first floor, second floor, and (marginally) attic.
William Brown wrote:

I am not suggesting that you should not do it, but keep in mind that older homes are not all that well sealed so your benefits are likely to be less than you might expect from a newer home.(How old? Maybe I am thinking older than it is.)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
The only way to know if you need one or will benefit is get a blower door test, it measures air exchanges per hour, as JM said old homes are hard to seal. If your house is tight you need it sized right.