Error Function Code - GE Gas Range

I've got a relatively new (<5 years) GE Gas Range, Model XL44. It periodically displays an F2 error code in the digital display. Don't seem to be able to locate the prior owner's product manual, but did find the on-line (.pdf) manual. No mention of the actual error codes, except to say that if you get an error code, disconnect the oven power supply, and reconnect. If it displays again, contact a repair technician.
Well, since the problem is intermittent (very intermittent), and since the oven is pretty new, I'm reluctant to go for the repair immediately - although I am worried about the turkey cooking issue later this week. What I'd like is if anyone has the code book for these error codes - and maybe what exactly F2 indicates. Suppose if it translates into "gas pressure building, explosion imminent" then it's probably worth the repair cost.
Not sure why the manufacturer guards these codes like they were the daily keylists for one of our diplomatic code cyphers. That's not much help for consumers. Anyone have any insights on what the code translation is for GE gas ranges?
Thanks,
Chris Dobyns Severn, MD
Chris Dobyns wrote:

Courtesy http://www.repairclinic.com/0078.asp#GE4
GE Range/Stove/Oven Fault Codes
F0 and F1 Failed Thermistor Control Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC) F2 Oven temp exceeds 590 w/ unlocked door High resistance or interference in oven temperature sensor. Replace oven temperature sensor F3 Open oven temperature sensor circuit Replace oven temperature sensor F4 Shorted wire (Oven temperature sensor) Locate and correct F7 A = Function pad button stuck or B = Bad clockUnstick button or Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC) F8 Component Failure Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC) F9 Program w/ door circuit Check wiring
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.com (Chris Dobyns) wrote in message
Hi,

XL44 is a name, not the model# http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

F2 Note: Also see fan thermal switches
Indicates that oven is over temperature in one of the following modes within either a cooking or clean mode of operation. Control senses oven temperature above 650 degrees F with the door circuit in the unlock mode. Control senses oven temperature above 935 degrees F with the door in the locked mode. Stalled cooling fan or airflow problem.
Look for welded relay contacts. (Heating elements on in off mode). Look for open thermal switch in lock motor circuit. Switch is normally closed and will open if area overheats due to fan not operating. Look for cause - fan thermal switch not closing, fan stalled, etc. Look for high resistance in the oven temperature sensor circuit due to high contact resistance (poor terminal crimp, deformed terminals, loose connection) or intermittent solder joint on control or intermittent oven temperature sensor. Look for electrical noise interference in the oven temperature sensor circuit (Ham radio, cordless phone, etc.).
F2 - Oven over temp, exceeded 590F with door in unlocked position or 990F with door locked - If actual temp condition occurred, look for welded relay contacts or high resistance connection or any cause in the oven temperature sensor circuit

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&P6 Lots of the codes ( not all! ) can be seen from above.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. Seems like about two minutes after I uploaded this question, I stumbled across the repair clinic location and found the codes myself. I'm thinking the oven temperature sensor may be the culprit, but no good basis for making that statement. Temperature just seems to fluctuate initially for no apparent reason. That replacement can't take much skill, since I've replaced temp sensors before.
Thanks for the good input though.
Chris
[...]

G'day,
The built in products can be a pain in the butt, but the free standing ranges are not too bad to do. Some tips that may or may not help :)
http://www.applianceaid.com/changingoventempsensor.html