Erosion

I live on a slope and it appears that some of the soil is eroding on one side of my home. It's a new house so there is not much past history to rely on.

Is there a preferred type of stone that I could place there to stop the erosion. Or is there another method..?

Also, in another area I'd like to landscape it so that grass wont grow. Is there a stone I can use for both purposes? Would I need to use a plactic sheeting underlayment for the prevention of grass and weeds..? Thanks

Reply to
Arthur Spooner

How large an area? How steep is the slope? What growth zone? What's uphill? Downhill?

Reply to
Norminn

It is hard to see from here, but it would appear that you should be looking into ways of keeping that water away from your home and its foundation. It may mean re-grading the level around your home.

The ground all around your home should slop away from the foundation for at least 10 feet, I feel a lot better with at least 30. All drains from the roof and hard surfaces, like the drive, need to be directed away from the foundation as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can channel some (most?) of the water, but it's hard to beat plants for stopping erosion. Plants with long roots.

I bet your county agricultural agent can come up with a swell compromise between long roots and short leaves.

Reply to
HeyBub

You might be best off creating a rock lined channel to focus the runoff. Or, if some of the water is actually coming out of your gutter downspouts, just use some flex hose to get it downhill and away problem areas.

Reply to
Jack S

Thanks for the responses. The home has a 10 yr. builders warranty. But that covers the foundation,structural defects, framing, roof ..etc.. The first year was bumper to bumper (I still haven't found my house's bumper). The second year alot of other things were still covered. Erosion is a first year item and it has to be severe. This is not..

I don't have a problem with the builder and am very satisfied with the house and workmanship. He's built almost every home in this 1,000 lot community that is 90% built out. He's also built many more ouside of this community over 30 years.

It's hard to describe the slope of the lot. But I'm going to try a combination of the suggestions here. Thanks..

Reply to
Arthur Spooner