eReader options

Page 5 of 7
On 01/15/2016 08:27 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/
Edward Hamilton specializes in remaindered books. You can pick up a few tons of yesterday's coffee table books inexpensively. I don't know if he's changed his shipping charges but a couple of times I think the postage cost him more than what he got from the books.
On 01/15/2016 12:10 PM, Don Y wrote:

300 books in a Kindle are very easy to dust... And she'll have enough room on the shelves for knick knacks rather than trying to stuff books in two deep and make structural improvements when the shelves start to sag too badly.
On 1/15/2016 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:

I repeat, she's only looking for this to read LIBRARY BOOKS. You don't have to store -- or DUST -- books that are only in your house for a couple of weeks! :>
On 1/16/2016 1:03 AM, Don Y wrote:

Sounds like you should stick with real books then. No sense spending money for the reader and then buying books if she is only going to read books from the local library. Both Nook and Amazon prime have freebies, but mostly older books. If she is reading two books a month from the local free library that could translate to $20 a month to buy them.
In your case, I'd borrow a reader from a friend for a couple of hours to see if she would like to handle it at all. Or stop at a Barnes & Noble store to handle one. It has to be her choice if she is going to like it. From things I've read and heard over the past couple of years, the split is maybe 80-20 on the like/dislike.
On 1/16/2016 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If they are new releases, they tend not to be inexpensive. Then she's got two books she'll have to donate?

We don't know anyone who uses an eReader. We can try B&N to see if the *concept* is something she can accept. But, would still need to see what the relative differences are between different products and manufacturers. E.g., the little nook that my friend had would be VERY disappointing (poor contrast, flimsy, etc).
[She's moved away in the years since then]
On 01/16/2016 11:49 AM, Don Y wrote:

afaik, BestBuy and Staples both carry the Kindle line. BestBuy may have carried the Nook but I think they dropped it. B&N dropped the ball on that one.
I don't know about the current generation but one thing that put me off initially was the flash as the electrophoretic display refreshes. Flash isn't quite the word since the display goes black. It's 500 msec, if that long but it is noticeable when you first use an ereader. Like new shoes, you get used to it. After all turning a physical page takes time but we're used to that.
On 1/16/2016 2:13 PM, rbowman wrote:

We sometimes visit OfficeMax (staples) so that's what I had in mind. I tend to buy my thumb drives and toner carts there -- when I can find a sale.

Yes, I noticed that on my friend's nook. "Disturbing". Whether or not it becomes *annoying* is a personal issue.
I've noticed some similar reaction with many of the new LED traffic lights, here. Not sure if it is a deliberate feature (to draw attention to the "change") or a visual artifact of the implementation.
(sigh) I guess I'd best get dressed for this "memorial service"...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

eReader is for portability. Tablets, iPADs can read as well. ePUB library can be at home in the desk top or NAS
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

+1 Also your tax $$$ at work. They also have ebooks but I like the "paper" experience. If they can't get it I either buy it used off Amazon, or new off Amazon-if I have to have it... or bag it. I had a buddy whom had a list of every book he ever read. One a week for many years in a composition book. He retired and haven't heard from him. Hmm The state pays for the ILL.
--
Tekkie

Some cut.

ew

There are used books for sale on Ebay also. Pretty cheap and I think the money goes to charity sometimes.
-- Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
On 01/15/2016 10:47 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:

Thanks. If my current keyboard dies I'll probably move to the Paperwhite. I'll admit to being firmly embedded in the Amazon ecosystem these days :)
When Amazon first started up they tended to promise items they couldn't deliver, especially with less popular books and European CDs, so I ordered more from Barnes & Noble. Amazon got it together. There's a brick & mortar B&N across from where I work and I walked over last week to but a 50% off calendar. I think that's the only thing I've bought there in about a year. Leaning towards Amazon is why I went with the Kindle rather than the Nook. In retrospect it was the better choice.
On 1/15/2016 9:16 PM, rbowman wrote:

We deal with Amazon very little. Our two most recent transactions were net losses -- for Amazon *and* us (items returned for full refund -- Amazon lost two shipping charges; we lost two "buying events")
The second package is sitting on the kitchen counter waiting to be dropped off at the UPS office tomorrow.
The BIG advantage to brick and mortars is you can actually *see* what you are buying and don't have to rely on some dweeb to put the *right* item in the box!
On 01/16/2016 01:06 AM, Don Y wrote:

Amazon is my goto store for virtually everything.
Shirts and pants are the only products that are troublesome since the idiot clothing manufacturers can't seem to standardize on sizes.
On 1/16/2016 10:14 AM, Juan Doe wrote:

SWMBO bought two (identical) pair of pants. They were different sizes (though marked identically). Additionally, the cuffs were frayed. In a brick and mortar store, she'd notice they were different sizes before bringing them home -- without even having to resort to the "dressing room".
I bought a "22cm, up angle, USB A male to USB A female cable". What arrived was an 18cm, DOWN angle, USB A male to USB A female cable" despite the fact that I had deliberately NOT ordered that variation. I was able to characterize the cable within seconds of handling the PACKAGE.
She bought a "cleaning kit" -- 8 oz variety (three 8 oz bottles). The *2 oz* variety arrived. It was a no-brainer to realize those tiny bottles couldn't possibly contain "a cup" of liquid, each.
In each case, we've invested as much time as if we'd driven to a local store, HANDLED the items ourselves to verify they are exactly what we want, then driven home.
On 1/16/2016 1:41 PM, Don Y wrote:

In the past 6 or 8 years of using Amazon I've never had a problem, never had a return. I can see why you are disappointed given the failure rate of 100% but for most of us it is 0%.
We've bought a variety of merchandise from home goods, electronics, medical supplies. but not much clothing. I just checked and I've placed 140 orders with 1 to 8 items, every one perfect.
On 1/16/2016 12:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've never had an issue with an *eBay* purchase -- and those are "average joes", not businesses!
I've never had a problem with a DX purchase (and they have umpteen different varieties of some of their products).
We tend to have very *specific* "wants". E.g., the USB cable *had* to bend UP -- not down or off to the left or right like the other amazon offerings that I skipped over. It had to be 22cm long -- not the 18cm or 20cm that some of the others claimed. Someone else may just have *picked* this particular "right angle" cable without regard for those details. And, if the "wrong" part arrived, might never have noticed that it plugs in upside down... or is a few inches too short, etc.
E.g., if I order a hamburger, I *don't* want a cheeseburger. Nor a Reuben (I don't like cheese or corned beef!). If you don't want to sell hamburgers, then don't put them on the menu. If you HAVE them on the menu, then be able to deliver one when it is ordered!
On 01/16/2016 12:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's my experience but I have had a couple of problems, all of which were resolved immediately. I don't order much clothing. One of my returns was a pair of motorcycle gloves. I ordered XXXL iirc but XXXL in Pakistan means suitable for Minnie Mouse. However I'd had the same problem at the brick and mortar bike stores in town before ordering from Amazon. I finally found a pair of leather gloves I could get my paws into at the hardware store. Not very stylish but they work.
On 01/16/2016 11:41 AM, Don Y wrote:

You've had a much different experience than I. I ordered three Photon Microlights. Two were genuine but the third was a Chinese knockoff. It worked but the LED color was bluer. I emailed Amazon and they refunded the price, told me to keep the light. There was something that I returned but I can't remember what it was. It was painless though. Get the RGA online, print the label, slap it on the box, and throw it into the FedEx bin on my way to work.
That's two instances I remember out of many orders. The UPS driver knows me very well. This week I got 4 separate deliveries. LR44 batteries, 2016 batteries, a Silky Gomboy pruning saw, and 12 Clif Mojo bars. The batteries were Everready and much cheaper than available locally, as were the bars. The Silky would have been a special order.
On 1/16/2016 1:39 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not claiming they were reluctant to accept the returns! But, rather, that I *had* to make returns! I've now invested in a "shopping experience" (finding the devices, ordering them, WAITING for delivery; then having to UNDO all of these actions) -- with nothing to show for it!
I've just wasted my time and calendar time THINKING that I had "found" the item that I wanted.
At a brick and mortar, I can see *THE* item that I will be taking home with me. If it is incorrect or obviously defective, I can pick up another. If I notice lots of defective items in that lot, I can suspect that I might be UNHAPPY with this purchase, down the road.
If I walk into a HF, I can hold the utility knife I'm thinking of buying in my hand and decide if I like the "feel". I can examine the fabrication to decide if its shoddy or quality workmanship. I can test the edge of the blade to see if it is nominally sharp or TRULY sharp (can't test its hardness without damaging it). Then, evaluate the price and my expected usage of *this* utility knife to decide if I want to complete the transaction and live with the consequences.
Buy the same/cimilar knife online and the process starts *after* it arrives at my doorstep. I've made *a* selection (don't order 5 different styles to "try in the comfort of your own home") and now waited. With no guarantee that the purchase will be over when it arrives. Indeed, the return process may just be starting! :<

From your past comments, you probably don't have a lot of LOCAL options to buy those things? In a city of half a million -- in a metro area of a million -- we have a fair bit more "local choices", I suspect.
[This is what I miss about Chitown and New England; even with the 1M here, its nothing compared to either of those areas! Heck, I could visit the manufacturers, there!]
On 01/16/2016 01:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

Well, we do have a Harbor Freight :) What more could you want? And HF definitely is a place where I want to hold and interview the merchandise.
The basics are here; just don't get off the beaten track. Or bring your own tube of vaseline if you're looking for a HDMI cable or such.
Large metros have both better selections and better prices. I don't care that much for the company but even for something like the new Cabelas in town, my gut impression from a quick walk through was it wasn't as well stocked as the one in Glendale.
Even that is a case in point. I bought a Kershaw knife that was labeled as 'reversible' for $70. Of course with the blister pack you can't tell much but when I got home I found 'reversible' meant changing the clip for point up or point down carry in your right hand pocket. So I hit the internet to see if there was a left handed model. Turns out there isn't but I saw it on Amazon for $38.13. So it meant a trip back to Cabelas, on the wrong side of town, to get my $70 back.
I don't know if it would be cheaper in Glendale. I've never found Cabelas to be very competitive.