eReader options

Page 2 of 7
On 1/13/2016 11:55 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm relatively new to the iPad - only Apple device I own. My Calibre program resides on a desktop and the "library files (my collection of ebooks (~ 6,000 volumes) reside on a NAS (RAID) For me this was/is the most straight forward way to do it. YMMV. Just saying that for me, the native iBooks application works fine and I personally found it preferable to the Nook or any of the various ereader apps I tried on my Toshiba Thrive tablet. Again, as all this is subjective opinion, YMMV

That's my situation as well. Books on the iPad are there only until I finish reading them. Then I delete them. I don't worry about backups on the iPad as I have have them all stored (and managed by Calibre) on the NAS at home.

My iPad is one of those fairly rare 128GB models so that's not an issue for me, but regardless I only "store" current content there or what's "stockpiled" for my current reading desires. At most there may be twenty books on the iPad at any one time (10 - 15 MB).

It's strictly, I suppose, a matter of personal preference. I have a cover for all my devices and like them. They all function pretty much the same.
1. Protects the screen when not in use
2. Allows me to hold the device in two hands as if I was reading a book in the conventional fashion (as opposed to reading a book with the pages on the left and the cover folded back upon itself (hard to describe but take a magazine and fold/hold it so only a single page is viewable at one time and maybe you'll see what I mean)
3. If I want to read it like a magazine folded over, I can as the cover will fold back on itself exposing only the screen of the iPad allowing me to hold it single handed.
4. The case I have also swivels on the back so I can use it to form an easel and set the iPad in a reading position on my desk or table.
Greetings!

OK.

OK. But why "emailing" the document? Isn't that just a roundabout way of *copying* it? I.e., you are sending it (via a desktop app?) to a mail server and then *retrieving* it (via an iPad app) just to get it *onto* the iPad (in an "inbox"). Then, saving that "attachment" elsewhere (on the iPad). Can't you just "copy" it, directly?

Understood.

OK. So, the "backup" exists implicitly. The iPad copy is "disposable".

OK. The step I was missing was that you are emailing from your "backup/archive". It's not like the email was the FIRST time you'd touched the document (i.e., it had already been moved to your archive before you ever really *looked* at it)

Understood. I keep a film on my tablet PCs screens but that just protects against the abuse/scratches from the pen. If someone were to set something on it (or drop it!), I'd be SoL.

Ahhhh! OK. The cover is there not so much as a skin but for it's "hinge". Even though you don't have a display on the left side for the verso pages, you have the mechanical *structure* of having those pages "in your left hand".
The documents that I read on my tablet PC tend to be large sheets of paper; the sort you would more easily read "from a stack" (of one sided sheets) instead of flipping through double sided sheets "stapled together" (think about how you'd PREFER to read a 15 page "report")

Understood. This is how I envisioned the cover working. It hadn't occurred to me that it could turn the device into an "open book" form (even though that book only has rector pages!)

OK. Now I see the "closer manifestation of a paper book". Thanks!
On 01/13/2016 08:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

I tend to throw mine in a boat bag, etc, and the cover improves the survivability, sort of like the neoprene sleeve on the tablet. The one I have can also be used to stand the Kindle up like an easel.

I would avoid trying to download a free copy of somebody's swiped copy of a book normally for sale. Too much potential for a malicious virus.
On 1/14/2016 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:

Books shouldn't (implicitly) contain executables. So, the only potential for an "infection" would be a buggy reader implementation. In much the same way that *photos* don't (implicitly) contain code and any exploits are the result of poor "viewer" implementations.
Contrast this with PDF's -- which *do* contain "code" (albeit postscript and/or adobe script).
The "swiped copy" issue should be one of morality/legality. Would you want someone stealing *your* work?
On 1/14/2016 9:49 AM, Don Y wrote:

Nobody will say, I stole this. They just say, here's a free-be. In the beginning I googled for "free ebooks" and could see where they wanted to take me and said, no thanks.
BTW, working in industry, I did have some steal my stuff. They took documents I created and replaced my name with theirs. I was annoyed but the company was paying me.
On 1/14/2016 11:44 AM, Frank wrote:

SWMBO used to prepare elaborate financial reports for a hospital, here. Folks would pass them off as their own. She quickly learned to put her name on the documents and distribute them to many people (so lots of "witnesses") and in paper form, only ("white-out"?)
Writing software makes my "product" very easy -- and likely -- to "steal". Folks don't even bother replacing "my" name with theirs. They just deprive me of the revenues associated with the sale.
In the late 70's, (arcade) video games were at their hayday. The market craved new material. Good games were big moneymakers for the "operators" (the guys who collect the quarters out of the cashboxes).
Many vendors in the orient would literally copy the hardware and software in a game, make some token changes to the software so it wasn't an EXPLICIT copy (something along the lines of "Rac Man" instead of "Pac Man") and then push it out into the market at a cutrate price. Possible because they had spent *weeks* on the effort instead of the *years* the original had required!
We ended up developing elaborate schemes of *detecting* counterfeiting (can't prevent it). Seize a cargo container full of counterfeit product and the folks who ponied up the cash for them get annoyed, real quick!
On 01/14/2016 11:44 AM, Frank wrote:

http://ereadernewstoday.com/
This is legitimate. You can sign up to get a daily email of free or 99 cent ebooks. Some are first time authors, others are better established authors that Amazon has discounted for whatever reason. Many are worth exactly what you paid for them but I've hit several authors that I enjoy. Often the author will have several follow-on books that may be $2.99 or $3.99, with the first one free.
That's one thing I enjoy about eBooks. In a way it can be like a vanity press. On the other hand a fledgling author can get his work out, develop a following and hone his craft rather than waiting to win the publishing house lottery while filling his mailbox with rejection slips.
Don Y wrote:

I used to have Kobo but iPAD has an app for eReader. I have a Kindle now.
On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

Tablet PC is too big for a reader. My wife has a Kobo, Nook, Kindle. While she likes them all, her favorite is the Kindle Fire with 8" screen.
You books are saved in a library and are available to be read on most any device. The present book she is reading can be synced with her phone in seconds and she can continue reading where she left off.
On 1/13/2016 2:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That depends on what you are reading. I'd be hard-pressed to read some of my technical documents on an 8" screen. I'd either be forced to put on reading glasses to try to read all the "tiny print" in some of the tables and illustrations; or, have to pan back and forth to read individual items -- then figure out which row/column I happened to have been in, at the time.
Being able to see an 8.5x11 sheet of paper *as* an 8.5x11 sheet of paper is a huge win.
If you're only reading novels (no page formatting/layout information preserved in the document), you can afford a smaller screen -- as long as the imagery remains crisp at the scale you prefer reading.
When I played with my friend's nook, it seemed that I was constantly "flipping pages" (I read very fast) while that's rarely the case with the larger (more content) pages on my tablet PC (or, if reading PDF's on a PC -- where I can see an entire page on the screen without having to scroll down to the bottom of the first column, then *up* to the top of the next, etc.)

Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection to some cloud service? (We don't use cell phones) E.g., I can slap a PC card, SD card, thumb drive, etc. into my tablet PC to gain access to other parts of my document collection (if I don't want to use the network connection -- wired or wireless). So, the tablet PC doesn't need to have a huge disk to access the ~2TB of documents that I maintain...
On 01/13/2016 04:11 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes, the files are stored locally. I only enable the wireless connection when I'm getting a new book from Amazon.
On 1/13/2016 10:19 PM, rbowman wrote:

Actually both. If you run out of room you can leave books on the Amazon (or B&N) server and get it again later.
On 1/13/2016 8:19 PM, rbowman wrote:

So, what happens when the device is "full"?
On 01/14/2016 12:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

I haven't gotten there yet after five years or so but you just start deleting title from the device.
On 1/14/2016 2:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

You archive them to the B&N or Amazon Library. Can always dl them again if you want them. Once you buy them they are yours forever but you do not have to keep them on your device..

I have a Kindle Paperwhite with their cover. I had a Kindle keyboard earlier. I really like the Paperwhite with it's built in back light. I also like the sync feature since there are times I read on my Microsoft Surface and on my Android phone.
This is the one that I have: <http://smile.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-High-Resolution-Display-Built-/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid 52725353&sr=8-3&keywords=kindle>
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
On 1/13/2016 3:52 PM, Jim Rusling wrote:

"cover"? That's just to protect the device? (I see violet/blue/yellow covers about halfway down that page)

What value was there to having alphanumeric entry on the device? Is this mainly for searching for titles, passages, etc.?

Yes, I think that's essential. I was laid up for a while and found the tablet PC to be a very effective way for me to keep working without having to sit up, etc. As bedrooms aren't known for having good reading/work light, the tablet made up for it. The pen also made it easy for me to make notations without having to arrange for a writing surface *in* the bed. The handwriting recognition was surprisingly good (cut down on the need for the on-screen keyboard).

She won't be using anything else to read -- no phones and she despises doing anything "recreational" sitting at a computer.

The page size seems about the same as that of a paperback ("pocketbook"). If you adjust the font size to what you would encounter on a paperback print page, how readable is it? I.e., do you have to enlarge the text (font) to gain readability (resulting in less text on the "page")?
On 01/13/2016 04:29 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes, but I seldom use it. You can make notes also but I seldom do that ever with paper books. The Paperwhite has a virtual keyboard. One thing the PW doesn't have afaik is the text to speech or audio books but I never used that feature anyway.
On 1/13/2016 8:26 PM, rbowman wrote:

How do you find a specific title? Or, are there only a small number of titles on the device at any given time (e.g., dozens instead of thousands)?

I can't see SWMBO using that sort of feature. She's reading for entertainment, not "research". The books that she "studies" are all dead tree implementations so she can put post-it notes in the pages, etc.
I use PDF's for my archive because I can put lots of stuff in that container alongside the "document": illustrations, sounds, animations, source/object code, etc.
And, I can augment documents -- include notes about errors I've found or clarifications of the existing material, etc. (having a pen interface lets me include sketches in those notes!)

Yeah, I don't deal well with audio books. I don't "digest" material as well when it is read to me. And, I think random access is more tedious; if I want to skip back a paragraph (or whatever) to doublecheck how something mentioned there fits with something I'm reading *here*, it's easier to just glance up and hunt for the information visually.
I think the same sort of thing applies to dead tree documents; you have a visual memory of where it was on the page, verso/recto, etc. and can flip through hunting for it based on those remembered criteria.