Er, Uh, Kinda important

Page 2 of 3
Dan C wrote:

Yes, I am fully aware that the function of these sensors is important. Good thing three out of four work. We just wouldn't have redundancy for a mission while they fix it. Lots of space shuttle systems don't have redundancy.

The real name of this process is "Cover Your Ass (CYA)". A spineless CYA culture is incapable of simultaneously being a Can-Do culture that makes things happen. Risks need to be taken or progress slows to a halt. People need to start getting mad about the lack of America's progress in space instead of the shuttle disasters.

You are right. We are not in a space race. We are just sitting there and China is rapidly advancing. China IS going to go to the moon. None of the people who sent us to the moon would be much help going back. In many ways it would be like going for the first time all over again. The shuttle should have been replaced after 10 years with a better vehicle and then the vehicle after that should have been replaced by now. We should have long ago colonized the moon and perhaps Mars. We should have completed the superconducting supercollider. The list goes on and on. I am happy to see bush setting some meager goals in the distant future but the fact is we have been sitting on our hands. We are just sitting here waiting to be passed. Unless we change our attitude it will happen.

Good. I run Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux on all of my systems. (Except I have a Mac and a Windows 2000 system specifically for testing setup in VMWare) I do some software development from time to time. What is your profession?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:18:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

With a sensor of this magnitude, you don't go on a mission without redundancy. It's really that simple.

There is some truth to that, but there is more to it. In this day and age, politics and public opinion play more of a part than they should (or used to). Imagine the public outcry if another Colombia happened with this mission. Public outcry means Congress doesn't fund next year. That's reality.

Assuming that is true (and I don't know that it is), how does it hurt us if they go to the moon? We've already been there.

Most of this I agree with. I also would have liked to see us do much more with the space program over the last 30 years. What you are missing here is that the reason it hasn't happened is not the fault of NASA. It is the fault of a Congress that won't fund things, which is a result of the general public not giving a damn about space exploration. The average American today is more interested in social programs, tree hugging, and tax evasion. That is where the real fault is, right there. The American public. If you want things to change, you must begin there.

Hmmm.... so why do you post from Google Groups? Get a real newsreader. As for me, I'm an electronics engineer, closely associated with the federal government... ;)
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan C wrote:

From what I heard, this is only one of four of a system that is the redundant system...
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:45:21 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Exactly. Again, with a sensor of this magnitude, more than one backup is needed. It's that important.
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan C wrote:

My intent was the reverse...<because> it is one of four redundant systems in a backup system, this <particular> sensor <isn't> all that important...
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:45:14 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Your intent (and you) are wrong.
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan C wrote:

How can you demonstrate that other than personal belief? I do not believe I am wrong based on what NASA said in the news conference that I saw and their announced decision to fly w/o it...if you have factual information you can reference that shows an error in what I have said, I'd be happy to reconsider.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:00:31 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

You'll be happy to reconsider what, exactly? That the sensor isn't important? If it wasn't, why was the mission scrubbed two weeks ago? Also, the sensor was working this morning, there was no "decision to fly without it". Discovery is now in space, let's just leave it at that.
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan C wrote:

Whatever you can show that shows that my assessment of the function of the sensor in question was in error...

Because it came up during countdown and the failure was unexplained and they were unable to either explain it or fix it in time...

Actually if you watched the press conference last night, you will have seen them say they were planning on doing just that. At least one of the three major networks featured the "story" on both their 6 (5 Central :) ) and 11 o'clock news that NASA was going to "break their own rules"...of course, it was presented as a <major> bureaucratic blunder by a breathless news-babe who had absolutely no clue as to what she was reading...

Well, you're the one who claimed I was wrong--I'm simply asking you provide a factual basis for that claim...
Description of a cartoon in our local paper:
Guy at NASA is seated at a desk, talking on the phone. Beside him, a radio is playing. The balloon over the radio says, "Hello, this is Click and Clack the Tappett Brothers. We have a caller from Florida ..........."
Steve
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:20:12 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I don't get it.
Also since you didn't quote anything, I have no idea what you are referring to.
Linux Registered User #327951

Heeeeeeeere's yer sign!
The thread is about a fellow who wrote in and asked about how to fix a gas gauge on a space shuttle motor.
HTH.
Steve
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:44:18 -0700, SteveB wrote:

Another fucking doofus with a 3rd grade education, trying to be a comedian. Go back to school.
Linux Registered User #327951

Sorry, Dan. It's time to say good bye.
Good bye.
Plonk.
Steve
Dan C wrote:

Why am I not surprised???? :(
BTW, what was I wrong about? You going to answer that?
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:09:24 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Because your brain lacks that capacity.

You were wrong about the importance of the sensor, as I've been saying all along. Not sure why you can't see that. It was important enough to the NASA engineers to scrub the launch entirely. Why your definition of "important" doesn't recognize that fact is beyond me. Toodle-do.
Linux Registered User #327951

Oh, so you WERE following the conversation, and your reply to my post was merely an idiotic response to my notation about the Tappett Brothers?
So long, troll boy.
Steve
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:35:12 -0700, SteveB wrote:

Earlier you said you plonked me. Why are you still responding, you lying little fucktard piece of shit? Fuck off and die, dickweed.
Linux Registered User #327951

I did, and will again. What are you doing, changing your name hourly so your idiotic posts will still be seen?
Steve, who hopes this plonk works until DannyBoy changes his name again.
SteveB wrote:

I haven't seen Dan C change his name. He's right. You are a retard. 'scuse me, that was fucktard.
PS: Killfiles are for chickenshit weaklings... Be a she-man like Kanter and hold your ground.