Equivalent of 4 D-cell Batteries?

All:
I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes 4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current ratings be for an AC/DC supply?
Thanks in advance!
John
On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:57:35 +0000, John wrote:

You'll need a 6 VDC supply, and the current rating cannot be determined from what you provided. That depends on the device you are running. A "standard" hobbyist DC power supply should be fine, but verify first.
Linux Registered User #327951
On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:32:37 -0500, Dan C

Errr.. maybe. Standard batteries are 1.5 volts each, connecting them in series is additive, but there's no guarantee the device connects them in series. I'll grant that, if said device has any digital components, 6V is the most likely design voltage.
Dan C wrote:

A 5VDC supply should work, and they are more commonly available. A battery-powered device needs to be designed to work with aging batteries, and common alkaline or carbon-zinc/zinc chloride batteries drop in voltage quite a bit as they discharge.
I would look for a 5V 1A DC "wall wart".
Best regards, Bob
A 6 volt wall unit from Radio Shack.
For the average radio or cassette player, I'l look for something with a 500milliamp capacity.

<rj>
That depends on whether the batteries are in series of parallel; you cannot determine it with the given information. No one can.

If the batteries are in series, as in a flashlight of positive to negative, it would be 4 x 1.5 or 6 volts. The device should have the power rating on it. Most adapters can handle small devices. There are multi-voltage adapters available.
Pop wrote:

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance that runs on 4x D cells in parallel.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote:

And if it does, he's gonna need a real hefty amperage power supply. My kid had a toy that ate 4 D batteries before lunch. The voltage requirement was for 6 volts. A 1 amp transformer didn't have enough oomph, but a 2 amp one did. About the only thing I can figure out about batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) is that the bigger they are, the more current they can supply, given that they are all about 1.5 volt nominal.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Oddly enough, I own a flash light that takes 8 D batteries. Parallel sets of four.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Have one in easy reach: It's a flashlight. Have another in the garage. Have an r/c car that uses that config. Lots of them around.
Odd. I've never seen a 4D flash light with the batteries in parallel. Just the one I got years ago which has 8 D cells. But, with two sets of four, it take the same PR-12 bulb that my other 4D light takes.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have to really question that. It would mean that your flashlights and R/C car run on 1-1/2 volts. Not very likely.
John wrote:

1.5, 3.0, or 6.0 volts, nominal, depending on how the batteries are aligned with each other.
Take the device to your supplier (Radio Shack?) and trust the male behind the counter to deduce what you need.