Epoxy for metals

Page 1 of 2
I've been using JBWeld and have been happy with the results; not happy that the tubes seem impossible to reseal, completely.
Any other products with which folks have had success?
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 06:17:41 -0700, Don Y

Since epoxy is a 2 part system, it keeps pretty well without being totally sealed and screwing the cap on is usually enough. How long would you plan on storing it? As adhesives go, the epoxy based stuff seems far more robust than most after you open it. poly urethane glues like Gorilla glue will go bad in the factory sealed container and once you open the clock is running. The same is true of silicone sealants

It "keeps" well enough (as in, retains it's effectiveness). It just doesn't "stay inside" the container (toothpaste-style tubes). Particularly the hardener.
Tubes were opened a little less than a month ago. Hardener is noticeably "soiled" on the outside (yes, I put the caps on tight).

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:33:02 -0700, Don Y

Just keep them in a zip bag if it bothers you. I keep mine in an Akro Bin along with other adhesives.

Why not find another vendor who makes a product that DOESN'T leave a mess on the tube, wherever it's stored *and* your hands when you use it?
On 12/13/2015 02:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

Because I've never found a brand of epoxy that comes in toothpaste tubes that doesn't? The plunger types are even worse though I think I've seen some that come with a mixing tube that are meant for one time use.
On 12/13/2015 5:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

This is my first experience with one that does! In fact, first experience with anything that comes in a toothpaste-like tube leaking out AFTER the cap has been firmly screwed on!
Medications, artist paints, other adhesives, toothpaste, etc. have always "behaved". I've seen folks "squeeze too hard" or "in the middle of the tube" and get more than they bargained for -- and neglected to clean off the excess before replacing the cap. But, if there wasn't anything actively oozing out of the tube when the cap was replaced, I've never come back to find it having oozed "through" (around) the cap!
The dual-plunger (syringe) behave similarly; if you exert too much pressure (for the viscosity of the contents), then the stuff oozes long after you've "stopped pushing" -- as if the stuff is currently compressed inside the tubes from your pressure and is now looking to release that pent up energy.
The concrete adhesive that I use is a "two chamber", plunger-driven sort of storage/dispense mechanism. The "nozzle" through which the adhesive is dispensed is very long and contains a sort of screw-like chamber that forces the two-parts to commingle *in* the nozzle before exiting onto your workpiece. Of course, this makes the nozzle a single-use item; PLAN AHEad!
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 23:59:16 -0700, Don Y

Yes, that's what I don't like about the long nozzle. Single use and a bunch of the material is wasted, inside the nozzle and no way to get it out. Plus i know I can mix it well. I put it on a glossy piece of cardboard, like the box from frozen food, or even from Ritz crackers, and I stir it up with a kitchen match. It's true, if you don't stir it enough it won't harden right, but I can stir it as well as the long nozzle can. (which I have doubts about.)

I've always praised JB Weld. It fixes a lot of stuff, and has always held up well.
However, I can not offer as much praise for their company. Some years ago, I wanted to coat the entire bottom of a metal livestock tank which was rusty. Those tanks are costly, so it was worth doing. I bought 5 tubes of JB Weld at a local farm supply store. Apparently it had been on the shelf too long, and was very stiff and hard to get out of the tube. In fact it was so hard, I had to press down on the tube with my shoe to get it out. Then it was very hard to mix and to spread. After using 3 tubes, and cussing the whole time, I bought several more tubes elsewhere and that worked fine. I tried to return the 2 remaining tubes to the farm store, and they told me they said that it "cant be bad", and refused to give me my money back.
I called the JB Weld company, and offerred to mail them the unused tubes and those I had used too. (after explaining the situation). They told me I would not have to mail them, and that they would send me 5 new tubes. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I still have not gotten them in the mail.

Epoxies will keep for years. I've got stuff maybe 40 years old. Have not used it lately but suspect it is still good.
They do not cure with moisture like the others you mentioned.
Gorilla glue bottles are polyethylene which is amongst the worst possible plastic barrier resins.
Even ketchup is packed in better bottles.
On 12/13/2015 12:47 PM, Frank wrote:

That's apparently not true. I recently tossed an "almost unopened" "Loctite 5 minute epoxy for Plastics" (siamese syringe style package) as the hardener and resin *both* degraded -- stored indoors and probably less than a year old.
OTOH, I recall painting the garage floor many decades ago with some epoxy paint that was probably stored for > 5 years (in a sealed container).

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:28:16 -0700, Don Y

I buy epoxy and superglue in the smallest amounts they sell, and toss what's left after I use it.
On 12/13/2015 2:45 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Years ago, I was given a bunch of these tiny, "single use" packets; sort of like the sealed "ketchup" packets but smaller -- resin and hardener side-by-side. Fold in half (so the hardener and resin packets are on top of each other). Cut the end off (scissors or utility knife). Pinch end between fingers and slide fingers up towards the open end to force both ingredients out onto a mixing surface.
No practical way fo saving anything "in" the packets so you didn't even try! And, as there wasn't a whole lot of material there to begin with, you never felt like you were discarding much!
On 12/13/2015 2:45 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I've found that "Krazy Glue Craft" holds up well! It comes in a bottle like a nail-polish bottle (with a little "brush" applicator) and screw on cap -- instead of those little squeeze tubes that immediately clog.
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 17:01:45 -0700, Don Y

I agree with Vic. Buy the crazy glue stuff in small, "one shot" tubes. The discount places sell them in a 6 pack for a buck or so. I do buy epoxy in larger containers but I use a lot of it. I have several different kinds for different stuff. It is a subtle difference but a difference nonetheless.
On 12/13/2015 4:28 PM, Don Y wrote:

I've used 5 minute type epoxy and it was good til the last drop. I suspect cross contamination.
On 12/13/2015 5:09 PM, Frank wrote:

The tubes of the syringe are 2+ inches long and half an inch in diameter. You're expecting something AT THE TIP (which is the only place where the contents of each are "exposed" to any "contaminants") to travel back up through the dispensing nozzle and all of the "raw material"? I could understand the portion of the material that had already "left" it's nominal storage are in the tube(s) to begin the trip "out".
But, that would be easily purged by "wasting" some "spoiled" material with the expectation that there would be virgin material waiting "behind it". This nearly full ("almost unopened") unit was shot through and through!
I have another unopened one that I will be watching carefully to see if this is just a brand that I need to avoid in the future (it has proven to be very good, otherwise)
Don Y wrote:

I keep my epoxies and Gorilla Glue in the door rack of our kitchen's freezer compartment. It takes very little time to warm them up enough to use them. I've had a pair of tubes of electrically conductive epoxy (expensive stuff that) in there for at least ten years and it's "good as new" when I need to use a little bit.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 12/16/2015 3:19 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I keep the syringes of solder paste in the door rack of the refrigerator.
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:28:16 -0700, Don Y

i must admit that my 5-minute epoxy for plastics in a syringe is dripping out of hte syringe, and I didn't notice, and now I have to clean it up. I stopped it by pointing the opening up.
But other plastic siamese syringes have lasted for years. While some have hardened after a couple years.