epoxy for masonry use

I am adding a few masonry blocks to the top exterior wall corners of my home. They will be setting directly on top of existing masonry block construction..probably 2 or 3 each way at the corner for a Spanish/territorial style affect. The city inspector says I should take about a 24" piece of rebar at each corner and drill into the existing block base...epoxy the rebar into the corner section...and add the two short 'steps' of new block over/around the rebar corner anchor.
What he didn't say was what type of epoxy to use...HB and Lowes only have these little ...looks like one shot...tubes ?
Anyone know what type of epoxy...?...and can I buy it in like a quart or gallon size set up rather than 3 or 4 dozen of these little 'applicator tubes'
Thanks, Tim R

Im not sure if its classifed as epoxy but bondo is cheap and very hard, why cant you mortar it in place, that seems most logical. Mortar has been around longer than epoxy.

Those tubes are the easiest way to apply the stuff by far. You don't need a hell of a lot as the hole size is just a small bit larger than the rebar. For such a small amount of added block length, I'd figure one or one and a half tubes per corner.
Other than that, buy a quart with catalyst and pour it in. Anything WEST System advises on their web site is good.
Tim wrote:

Try your preferred phone listings for masonry suppliers or concrete products. I always get mine from Eagle Concrete Products, but of course, I don't have any idea where you are located.
Epoxy for masonry comes in a variety of styles and containers, from 2-part caulk guns (which requires a $150 caulk gun) to single tube with two parts and a mixing nozzle, to 5 gallon buckets with another bucket of catalyst. And those buckets have flowable, trowelable mixtures.
Real stores have real variety. Home stores just have popular selections.
Here are a few of them:
http://www.sikaconstruction.com/con-prod-app-ermbs.htm
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

You should be able to find a larger container of epoxy at the same store. There's no logic to the way they organize products at the borgs, so ask. They put stuff in the strangest places.
Look for a product that mentions masonry in the application list. Since this is not a visible installation, any old epoxy will probably do, but I always look for a product that says it's designed for the task.
You won't need nearly as much epoxy as you think. The hole you drill should be just barely bigger than the rebar. The epoxy ends up as a thin coating on the outside of the rebar. The one-shot container might be enough.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I would suggest SIKA Anchorfix #1 (fast set; 5 min) or #3 (slow set; hours)
works in a standard caulking gun, comes with 2 nozzles. Be all ready to install rebar if you use #1, the stuff will harden in the nozzle if you hesitate for a few minutes.
or Simpson Epoxy Tie (they might now have product that doesn't need a special gun)
both are available at HD (SoCal) with the lumber / building supplies.
or online
http://building-supply.hometownhardware.com/Concrete_and_mortar_mixes/Sika_Corp/10OZ_ANCHOR_FIX_3-s272172.html
cheers Bob

re: Be all ready to install rebar if you use #1, the stuff will harden in the nozzle if you hesitate for a few minutes.
But what happens after you install the rebar..won't it still harden in the nozzle?
What am I missing here?

Yes, all mixed epoxy will harden in the mix nozzle or on the mixing plate.
The trick is to dispense, mix & place before it hardens.
The SIKA AnchorFix#1 hardens in a matter of a few minutes (depending on material & ambient temp)
After you're done the hardened screw on nozzle becomes a cartridge seal.
cheers Bob
Tim writes:

If you can't find the caulk tube epoxy mixing/dispensing system, the place to find epoxy in bulk is a boat store.
Menards sells an epoxy in caulking tubes meant for concrete crack repair. Should work fine for your application. Otherwise I vote for the marine store.

Look in the masonry aisle; not the paint/adhesive.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----
-snip-

I was going to post the opposite. I just ran across it in HD in the paint dept with the caulks. So I guess- 'check both, then ask' is probably the best answer.
Jim
Tim wrote:

I think they've got a lot of left-over epoxy from the Boston Big-Dig Tunnel project...