Epoxy?

I attached a small brass hinge to a steel plate with epoxy. Now I want to change the fittings. Any cute tricks for softening or dissolving hardened epoxy?

Reply to
Bubba

Most cured epoxies will slowly give up when exposed to methylene chloride, a common component of many paint removers. It is not an actual solvent, but appears to penetrate at the molecular level and attack the surface bonds. (Or something.) Judicious application of heat to the metal taking advantage of differences in thermal expansion may also work. Sart with a heat gun and progress to a propane torch , gently, of course. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I bought some epoxy for copper pipe. The instructions say it can be removed with a propane torch.

(I have also cleaned a metal roller I used to epoxy/glass my boat with a torch; it burns and drips wickedly, so be careful.)

Reply to
Wade Lippman

If you don't mind bending the hinge, most epoxies are quite brittle so a sharp blow with an angled chisel or putty knife wedging into the seam between the hinge and the steel plate would be the quickest way. Otherwise a hair dryer (heat gun) will also work. This is what the used car dealers do to get their competitions logos off of the used cars they buy.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM