EPA to protect small engines

Page 1 of 4
"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-a-environment/249857-epas-four-gallon-minimum-mandate
Seems to me, if the EPA wanted to protect small engines, they'd do away entirely with the ethanol requirement.

fiasco. I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all incumbent Congresspersons!
--
Mr.E

It would seem a much better idea would be to spend the time to understand which ones are representing your views and doing a good job. How about if your current representatives are against the ethanol subsidies and the candidates running against them are green kooks? Is that how you would run a business? Just fire everyone?
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:08:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Dissolved and/or Restructured years ago. I believe in Term Limits on all elective offices.
--
Mr.E

@Mr. E:
That would still leave control of everything to the shadowy behind-the-scenes appointed committee assistants and would not truly solve the stated problem...

So, if you ran a business you'd fire everyone occasionally?

So vote for people who have similar values. It really isn't that hard.

We'd have term limits if we had a smarter electorate.
On 9/19/2012 10:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly, but the red and blue "teams" have everyone rolling in the dirt fighting over whether the blue or the red team is better while they continue business as usual.
On 9/19/2012 9:00 AM, Mr.E wrote:

Amen!!! Get them all out until we get a set of law makers who will take on issues with an open mind and make intelligent decisions that work for the people rather than their party, supporters, or PACs.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
That should be gawdawful expensive, to retrofit all the pumps. With meter telling when four gallons hits, and then dispense the alcohol into the gas. Fuel is expensive enough already, without having to pay for more tanks and more mixing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-a-environment/249857-epas-four-gallon-minimum-mandate
fiasco. I plan to implement term limits this fall by voting against all incumbent Congresspersons!
--
Mr.E

On Sep 19, 10:21am, "Stormin Mormon"

Godawful expensive ?
Do you live that far into the boonies that gas pumps as still old fashioned old timey things ?
Around the civilized world, gas pumps have computers in them and can self-serve cash or credit and have annoying flat screen TVs blaring ads at you to make even more money off of you while you pump the gas...
It would be a software change, little more...
On 9/19/2012 9:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

that's not what they mean.
--
Steve Barker

so you won't be voting for Ryan?
small engines:

I've been doing that for many years. It's a righteous strategy.

They should do away with that E stuff all together.
There are seveal stations in around me that sell gas with out the E in it. It is sold as their highest price gas, so when the gas was about $ 3.50 a gallon, the E-free was $ 4.00 per gallon. I have started using that and it seems the small engines start beter.

I have started doing that as well, and I find small engines start and run better. Our local Shell stations offer the lowest octane fuel at 10% ethanol, the next higher fuel uses 5% ethanol and their premium octane fuel with the highest price contains NO ethanol.
One engine, a very small 4 stroke Honda (the size of most 2 stroke engines) on a little rototiller, would be very difficult to start and would run rough on 10% ethanol, changing to 0% ethanol made it start right a way and run very smooth with full power.
Thanks for the field report.
One engine, a very small 4 stroke Honda (the size of most 2 stroke engines) on a little rototiller, would be very difficult to start and would run rough on 10% ethanol, changing to 0% ethanol made it start right a way and run very smooth with full power.
<<... other quotes snipped...>>

Shell must be using other additives or formulations to control the octane rating, rather than the ethanol content, apparently. All other things being equal, a higher ethanol percentage increases the octane rating of gasoline. In fact, straight ethanol has an octane equivalent rating of about 105 to 115 or so, depending on what method is used to measure or calculate it.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:55:53 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

heat value by significantly more - which makes it a bit of a boondoggle as far as a performance fuel is concerned. Shell makes their 93 octane fuel as 93 octane GASOLINE. The ethanol in the 87 makes it closer to 88 octane - WOW!!!!

If by performance you mean miles per gallon, I agree. OTOH, if you are talking about power developed by the engine, then with a modern fuel injection system and electronic controls, it really doesn't make any difference, in fact, an engine running on ethanol can make more power than one running on gasoline, but it will take about twice as much ethanol to do so. It's worth noting that small engines with their simple carburetors and lack of appropriate engine sensors have no way to adjust fuel metering to compensate for different fuel blends.