EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

Yeah, those disgusting ads on TV should have been a clue that VW was an immoral company. A thorough investigation is necessary. When the congressional Benghazi committee wraps it up in the next 10-12 years, they should take this up. They'll get to the bottom of it.
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 21:13:49 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

I realize some things are "political", but is *this* issue really a "congressional" issue?
Isn't it simply that CARB & the EPA have procedures which are backed up by force of law (admittedly, made by Congress), which VW broke?
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:37:55 +0000 (UTC), Winston_Smith

That was tongue and cheek. But a congressional committee can investigate a ham sandwich if they please.
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:22:32 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Thanks for explaining.
I just wonder why many people think EVERYTHING is caused by one party or the other.
In this case, VW simply cheated. They broke laws on purpose. And they repeatedly lied (probably to avoid detection).
All to make money. At the expense of everyone else.
If I was a competitor, I'd be livid that I had to spend money to meet a standard that VW didn't even bother to meet, and yet profited for years by not meeting.
On 09/23/2015 11:48 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:

That's assuming none of the other auto makers pull(ed) the same trick. I think this is the tip of an iceberg...
John :-#)#
On 9/22/2015 9:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I cannot imagine a big corporation intentionally doing something like that and figure they would not get caught. Too many people work on projects like that and superiors have to sign off. The cost t fix it is in the billions and for what?
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:19:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder, out loud, how many people inside of VW knew about this?
Do you think it was a small cadre? Or basically everyone?
On 9/22/2015 10:38 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

In a corporation that size, even a small cadre could have been 20 to 50 engineers. Someone had to come up with the idea, design, build, test, and approve everything. The guys on the line installing would probably have no idea, just another part. Higher level in engineering would know.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The only real change is in the code map in the ECM. They basically had a "normal" map for constant driving and a "test map" that only engaged when undergoing tests. I would bet it took fewer that 10 people to do the entire thing.
You need to consider that the engineers already know how to make the engine run and get good mileage and wrote the software to do that. However that programming didn't pass the EPA testing.
The actual program change is easy. It could be hidden just about anywhere but is likely very simple. Something like IF the engine is running at XXX rpm but there is a connector in the OBD test port, with no input from the steering rack and the parking brake is set, add 2% fuel enrichment to the drive cycle.
Extra fuel cools the fuel burn and drops the NOx to legal limits. Car passes.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:23:43 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

But don't you think the code, which clearly had legal implications known to all involved, would have to be signed off at the highest level?
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:08:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know how VW works, but, in one newspaper, they "speculated" that this kind of cheat had to be approved at the top level.
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:19:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That will probably come out at some point in the future. If I had to guess, I'd say that like many things like this, they probably didn't start out intending to cheat. They probably thought that their TDI diesels could meet EPA without using the urea system that MB and other manufacturers use. That would give VW a cost advantage, a marketing advantage, etc. It may turn out that the cheating started when they couldn't deliver on the promise and had a lot already sunk into investment, bragging, marketing, etc. That's just a guess, we'll have to wait and see.
And in this case I think the damage to VW will be way beyond what it would have been to most other auto companies. A lot of the VW buyers are the hippie, tree hugger type and half of them are probably driving their cars to the junk yard right now.

They shouldn't be parking in the special parking spaces for low emission vehicles. The Missouri welcome center on southbound I-29 near Rock Port has the parking spaces next to the ones for handicapped folk. It looks like a waste of six parking spaces and sign material to me.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:03:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's an interesting observation!
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:52:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Actually, the USA chief said "we screwed up". The Germany chief is just "endlessly sorry".
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:12:41 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Apparently VW yanked *all* those youtube ads, completely. Amazing how quickly that marketing team can move!

ught-Cheating-on-EPA-Tests.aspx

e-to-cheat-emissions-tests-forced-by-epa-to-recall-482k-vehicles

The CEO of VW is stepping down. http://preview.alturl.com/jxppg It's too bad he's German. We might run out of candidates for U.S. President.
-- Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

This video says that the VW TDI meets all California and US & Europe requirements! https://youtu.be/GzuFXeO48Rw?tc5

It was ironic.
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:19:10 +0000, Ewald Böhm wrote:

What I don't understand is that VW had to submit test results from a (supposedly) independent company in Europe to get certified in Europe for the 11 million cars that might be affected.
They apparently contracted that job out to Applus Idiada of Spain.
Has anyone any idea how Applus Idiada verified the wrong numbers?