EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

Page 4 of 11
On 9/19/2015 12:20 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I've still yet to hear or read of a single case myself.

Yes, I know. But the EPA will be the only route by which this could be addressed given that many states don't even do testing.

Spot checking of modified vehicles at large "car shows" has been promised, and reported. Just because your car is registered as a 1927 model "T" ford does not mean it is exempt from emissions testing if it has a 2009 Chevy LT between the frame rails.

LT was originally supplied for (determined by the engine number).

On 9/19/2015 1:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I must have missed that line. Where and when was that again?
Just because your car is registered as a 1927

No kidding.

You don't say.
On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 5:15:13 PM UTC-4, . wrote:

And if there is any truth to it, it's a total waste of taxpayer money. The number of cars involved is insignificant in the total universe of cars.

Sounds incredibly dumb, even for what govt has become. Sending inspectors out to see what engine is really in your model T?
On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 1:20:30 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:

EPA should require vw to buy back every vehicle for its original purchase price and monitor them being crushed....
now its true vw might go bankrupt, but given its harsh penalty no car company will ever try to pull it again..
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 3:59:23 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

And all the ordinary people, the hundreds of thousands of workers that lose their jobs, health benefits, retirement, etc, being a lib, you're OK with that? Seems the punishment is worse than the crime, especially since only a negligible percentage of all the people involved with VW worldwide had anything to do with this and they get hit just like the small number that did the deed.
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I feel for the innocent people, but, in reality, is *anyone* at VW actually innocent when they *all* benefited from the sales of cars which, we now know, were sold with audaciously fraudulent claims?

Criminal prosecution of those who knowingly did this would be fine. But fining the car company to make you feel good is stupid. It would hurt tens of thousands of innocent people who had nothing to do with this. That's why the way Obama and his corrupt justice department handled the banking crisis was so stupid. None of teh guilty went to jail so none of the people responsible suffered at all. But with the big fines lots of people who had nothing to do with the wrongdoing get screwed financially, employees in branches wound up laid off, stockholders lost money, pension funds lost money, etc, etc.
On 09/26/2015 12:16 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Winterkorn already fell on his sword. What's ironic is Winterkorn won the pissing contest with Piëch but I've got a feeling Piëch knows more about the gaming.
On 9/19/2015 12:12 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Ahhh, that will do it. The spotted owl breaths easier.

the VIN directly from the ECU

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's hit/miss here in NY. The software looks but depending on the ECM it may not work. Then you grab the scan gun and see if the old inspection tag has the correct VIN in the matrix.

--
Steve W.

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 04:42:00 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm

May not be able to pass emmissions next year if the recall is not done.

code.

I hope they don't follow the Microsoft Windows 10 model, where upgrades and patches will be installed automatically no matter what you do.
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 04:42:00 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm

I'm pretty sure VW will be required to put some kind of "code" in their "fixed" system's computer. If you don't get it fixed they will know at the inspection station that it's not fixed and will fail you.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 04:42:00 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm

Only with half of what you say. They will do t he same on the emissions test, and continue to pass unless something is broken.
But yes, that means they'll get lower mileage, not just during the test.

VW should pay them for the extra gas they will have to buy, and pay them for the time it takes to go to the gas station and get it.
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:45:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very few states use OBD emissions testing, and certainly California doesn't yet, where California is fining VW along with the EPA. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/smogcheck/march09/transitioning_to_obd_only_im.pdf
Most use tailpipe testing.
Some, like California, run the car through the Federal Test Procedure on a dynomometer.
Given thats at least three different procedures (where each state can easily be different), I don't see *how* the engine computer *knows* it's being tested for emissions.
Since almost no states use the OBD method, that's why I asked how the car knows it is being tested.
Ewald Böhm wrote:

How do you figure that "almost no states use OBD" testing. In fact most of the states do not use a dyno any longer.
Alaska, Arizona, California (in areas that require "enhanced" emissions testing), Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri (St. Louis), Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas (Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin, New Jersey, New York (in areas that require emissions testing), Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) and Virginia ALL use some type of OBD II testing, some use both OBD II and tailpipe.
As to how it knows it's being tested. Simple, as soon as the OBD test link gets plugged into the port it starts asking the ECM which protocol it communicates with. Emissions testing uses a specific test protocol, that doesn't query ALL of the systems on the vehicle. Easy enough to tell the ECM - When this protocol is queried activate this programming.
No different than the way software is set up in some cars to change the driving parameters based on different "modes" or valet keys or key fob type.
--
Steve W.

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:

I guess that's the list. I know for sure here in NJ they use OBD for emissions compliance testing. Back in the days of Christie Whitman, we spent several hundred million dollars installing dynos and tailpipe testing eqpt in all the state owned inspection facilities. They gave the contract to some out of state hacks that screwed it up royally, it took years longer to get working, etc. At the time, most of us thought it was stupid and that Whitman should have stood up to the feds, who shoved it down our throats, fought against it, etc. After it was working, within just a few years, the EPA switched to using OBD. Of course they had to have know this was coming, it just didn't pop up overnight. So, just a few years after the dynos and all the gear went in, they ripped it all out and junked it.
Today, we finally have some sanity. NJ used to check for everything, from horn, to front end, to headlight aiming. Now they just check for emissions, they don't even check for cracked windshields or brakes anymore. The inspection is good for 2 years. New cars don't have to be inspected for 5 years. Two of my vehicles, an older Mercedes diesel and my Harley no longer have to be inspected at all, ever again. Yipeee!
On 9/19/2015 8:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

CT had the testing contracted out and EVERY car had to be done. It was a money maker for the testing company. Now it is done by local authorized garages and they comply with the 5 year rule. I forget the numbers, but in the first few years, 99.999% of new cars pass the test but paid the fee.