Eon Decking Problems

I am installing an Eon Deck (plastic cedar 5/4" deck boards) and am about 1/2 finished (about 300sq.ft. down). The deck boards are attached to joists using hard rubber T-clips to create a hidden fastening system. Each new deck board covers the previous row of T-clips. About 650 screws required so far. The problem is, the deck squeaks and pops in various places and I don't know how to fix it. Eon has a Forum for problems like this but I've noticed that the solutions they post, such as loosening or tightening the T-clip screws are not possible because the deck boards are only 3/16" apart and the T-clip screws are inaccessible.

I've posted to their forum with as much technical information as I can provide but my post hasn't been added to the forum yet (It's already been a half week).

Is anyone out there installing an Eon deck?

Are there any solutions to the pop and squeaks?

I can't imagine removing most of the 650 screws just to fix one "too tight" screw. What happens when I then reinstall the 649 screws? More problems??

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Roy

Reply to
repp

I've completed the deck, and I'm not too happy for several reasons.

1) The deck requires 12', 16' and 20' boards. The 12' and 16' foot boards are the same color while the 20' boards are darker. Eon says you should lay the "wood" out like a natural deck and expect slight color variations. This of course is crap because I can't put 12' or 16' boards where the 20' boards belong. They need better quality control.

2) The 20' boards are not the same size as the 12' and 16' boards. The 12' and 16' boards are 5.5" wide but the 20' boards are 5-5/16" wide, producing a much larger gap between adjacent boards. In one section of my deck the boards are one width, then in another section the width is much wider. Very noticeable, plus it exposes the "hidden" fastening system.

3) The 20' boards cannot be fastened to the joists without producing a "popping" noise when they are stepped on. Even if I overdrive the screw on the T-clip the boards will still "pop". The 12' and 16' boards have no such problems. Clearly the 20' boards were made with a different extrusion die and machine. This is a manufacturer's problem.

I don't want people looking at my deck and asking me "what happened here?" or "why is it making so much noise?".

Anyone out there seeing similar problems?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
repp

Roy,

I'm sorry that I have no suggestions. But I'm glad you posted that. I'm researching product now and was looking favorably at Eon. I'll be taking a harder look now.

Thanks

Rodger

Reply to
Rodger remove mailtome

Roy,

I stumbled on this.

From: Kevin Ricks ( snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net) Subject: Re: Trex-Type Decking Question View this article only Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Date: 2003-08-27 11:03:05 PST

I made a 12x16' deck with EON. EON is made in Canada but available in the US at HD. The squeaking problem has been addressed by EON. They now suggest that a bead of silicon be put down between joists and the decking during installation. Kevin

Reply to
Rodger remove mailtome