Envirosept Furnace Filter

Page 2 of 2
In ye olde days beforeth ye global warming ye climate was much more coolth
On 4 Jun 2005 08:18:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

For what its worth, after nixing an electronic filter on account of cost, and "sticky" treated filters on account of cost and reduced airflow, my solution is to spray a light coat of cooking oil on the cheapie regular fiberglass filter. My theory is that the oil will retain dust particles better than a plain filter. I get to change the filters more often and thus remove the dust permanent instead of letting it be blown back into the ducts and air. I only did this last month when the weather no longer required the furnace to run. I should know when the weather gets cold again whether there is any problem having cooking oil on the filter for an extended period and whetehr it picks up dust and better.
PaPaPeng,
The fiberglass filters come from the factory with a coating already on the filters. They are called viscous impingement filters. Spraying them with oils not necessary, but will not hurt.
Stretch

My concern is when I change the regular furnace filter the dust on it is dry, loose and easily blown back into the ducts. But if there is an oil stain anywhere in the house the dust particles get stuck on the oil stain. Hopefully the dust particles will stick better to an oil coated furnace filter.
An idea that just came to mind is to have a small heated oil reservoir infront of the filter element. The concept is everytime the furnace fires up the heater element will be switched on to vaporize a little oil and deposit a fresh sticky coat. The vapor will be deposited onto the filter by the air drawn into the furnace.
Cooking oil deposits inside the ducting is likely a health and maintenance concern. But what about aromatic oils meant for household use, as in those wall plug-in gizmos? In fact it is easy enough to install several of these vaporizers in the cold air return plenum and tie that to the furnace ON circuit. The vapor may do a double duty of helping to attract dust onto the filter element first before doing its original purpose to make the rooms smell nice.
Criticisms? Suggestions?