Environmentally-better paint strippers DO work

Right. But they are considerably, CONSIDERABLY, more toxic than Methelyne chloride.

You need a new book. Methylene chloride is only slightly more hazardous than Cool Whip.

I'd be for some of that.

  • Asbestos is superior to almost anything else as a fire retardant and insulation material. The WTC building that had its steel beams coated with asbestos stood the fire for almost an hour longer than its twin. There has never been a case of cancer caused by exposure to commercial asbestos.

  • There has never been a human sickness, let alone death, attributed to DDT. On the contrary, literally millions have died as a result of the absence of DDT.

  • Tetraethyl lead, as well as other commercial uses of lead, are almost completely benign, the one exception I can think of is bullets. The most common, provable, environmental problem associated with lead is when precious snowflakes gnaw on lead-based paints.

I don't know about the other stuff.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hello,

Those are some statements about half-lives! Can you point me toward where you got them from? If you are saying that the small amount of MC that gets dissolved or entrained in water breaks down to CO2, what happens to the two chlorine atoms?

MC is not nominally soluble in water but there is a very small solubility. It can also be entrained. While not enough to worry about when stripping furniture, it is an issue with ground water contamination. It is the "barrel of sewage/barrel of wine" dilemma.

Reply to
Baron

Is this the new English? Did I miss the memo that said this was good grammar, or even made sense?

Seems like everybody is writing, and SPEAKING like this now.

How about?

It needed TO BE removed.

It needed removAL.

I don't mean to pick but what is up with that construct lately? Drives me crazy.

Reply to
mkirsch1

On 2/10/2009 7:01 AM snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com spake thus:

Sorry it bugs you, but I picked it up from one of my customers who hails from Pennsylvania.

I like it; "The house needs painted."

And no, it's actually some pretty old English (or perhaps Pennsylvania "Dutch").

Reply to
David Nebenzahl