entry door

I'm considering replacing my entry door. Looking at the Andersen brand at HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? Or should I stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

Reply to
trailer

Andersen is quality, Im looking at fiberglass cheap ones. Wood looks better but needs maintenance every few years, and that is alot of work to do it right. Metal dents and transfers in cold. You can paint or stain fiberglass, paint would last, clearcoats dont in sun.

Reply to
ransley

We installed a ThermaTrue fiberglass a few months ago. This is an outward opening door, hence little protection from the elements. Not cheap, but very well constructed. Too busy to paint it yet, maybe a report on that later. The company seems to have a of positive comments in this NG and trade publications. Maybe specializing in doors gives them an advantage. IIRC, it is one of the larger companies in the business. We used a local lumber yard for our supplier, but checked out Pella and others before committing. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I just replace mine with a $37.00 cardboard door. Looks nice all painted and sealed. Looks like wood grain and the storm door will protect it from the weather. If somebody wants to break in, a steel door won't stop them.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

37 thats cheap for cardboard, must be Chinese cardboard
Reply to
ransley