Entire House Fills with Ice

Page 3 of 3

wrote: ...

Possible, but I don't see how it could do that and have flowed outside as it did (in the quantity it did) if it was freezing at the same rate as flowing, essentially...
I'm convinced it isn't anyways even close to full of water (or ice) whether anyone else is or not... :)
I guess we'll know in the spring, or summer, or next fall, or?????
dpb wrote:

First I thought there's no way that much water could run in the house, but at 10 gallons per minute you could get to 100000 in a week. And the house would collapse from the weight.
But there's no way to actually freeze that much water in a week or two of cold weather. There's way too much latent heat of fusion to overcome, plus the house (and the outer layer of ice) would insulate it.
So I'm still calling "BS". I'm also glad I don't have to clean up the mess.
Bob

Not so sure. Once the water started to freeze, it would be somewhat self supporting. We don't have specifics on how long the house was empty and how cold it has been. Where the water comes from can make a difference also. Dripping from the leaking toilet on the second floor my help it freeze faster than water coming in from the main in the basement as the water would spread over a larger area.
It may have also been assisted by the former occupants.

How about "a little at a time" as it flows to and reaches the outermost points?

Insulation works both ways.

I think I'd use a track hoe.
I'm not exactly convinced I'm looking at a house full of water myself; 16,000 cu ft. would hold 998,000 gallons, if I'm drink not too cipher much, or about 8M pounds.
But, ISTM, it might freeze in a manner and form to support itself, from the outside in, and thereby escape from expanding to a degree to damage even the windows, because there's only gravity to overcome nearer the center.
It's fun to try to think about. -----
- gpsman
Jimw wrote:

Deja vu all over again....
In the fall a few years ago my next door neighbors here in Red Sox Nation left their home for sale in the hands of a realtor and moved to another state. The house didn't sell quickly and winter arrived.
One morning I looked out a side window of our home and saw this next door:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/freezer.jpg
Heat had failed, pipe(s) froze and burst.
My ex neighbors had some problems with their homeowners insurance because of a clause limiting the time they could "abandon" the house. They somehow prevailed.
Mucho work to get the place back in shape and it wasn't ready go back on the market again until the fall. I told my ex neighbor that since they already had a central monitored burglar & fire alarm system they should add a low temperature monitor to that system. Or, like we used to do 50+ years ago, put a thermostat controlled blue bulb in a window which would light when the temperature dropped and advise the neighbors to get someone on the case.
They didn't folllow my advice....With not unexpected results. The place didn't sell quickly, winter set in, heat failed again in the middle of a cold spell and a pipe burst.
It took another summer to restore the place a second time, and it finally got sold to new owners before winter.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Is there an easy way to monitor your house via internet. If you're traveling on vacation it still would be nice to know the heat is working.
There must a way to do it, I'm not sure how you set up your house for remote access though. But once you manage that, a web cam pointed at a thermometer would at least let you check what the temperature is.

Why burden yourself having to check the web every day? Once you have a central monitored system it is trivial to add a low temperature sensor. And as soon as the set temperature is reached your phone gets a call.
I know they work. I put one in my lowest floor hallway. That is where my tenant is. One very cold and windy night he did not fully close both doors. They blew open and the temperature dropped. I got a phone call at 3 AM. As I was a couple floors up, and it was warm in my bedroom, I didn't believe them. But, of course, once I got downstairs it was obvious what happened.
on 1/18/2009 3:26 PM (ET) TimR wrote the following:

http://www.sittercity.com/video_monitoring_program.html?fromsite=true
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/a4e2cc4f67f9798fb04c4139c5c823b2_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/ae9318bc7d4eb994a7656286e2ee6cf6_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/309ee52e1e4894f4c41012a45c7f0b31_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/b357d45cac356ffab2a3a8353f329905_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/fab2cb1a37df140ab01d5723ca7809bf_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/369230a1ffadf65c8d9b87a77a3904c2_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/4754e52a830a06c183ff3b4cbefe3d20_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/33275a1f5e24aff71eab9f016468a2d2_large.jpg
http://lacrosse.youpostitwisconsin.com/upload/user_photos/2009/01/16/8ffb07610b22b4b6173a6277f4688147_large.jpg

It could be legit. last really cold winter the county airport didnt turn their fountain off. Created a 60 foot high ice pile, self supporting.
No reason that couldsnt happen inside a home. I wonder how much damage it would do?

House in Montreal Canada some 40+ years ago. Hot water radiation heating. Owner and family transferred. Brother in law supposed to check on house. Cold spell. Everything froze. Then thawed, then froze again. Immense damage to heating, plastered walls etc. Rumoured then to be over $15,000 (considering house prices then probably about one third value of house?) Today probably $50,000 or more!

Yeah, just the cost of replumbing, furnace, water heater & other equipment failures could pretty easily eat that up even in a moderately priced home. I would imagine a basement fill with water & frozen would break open the foundation; it's gotta go somewhere when it expands. Depends on what the freezing sequence is I guess; top down or bottom up, mixes of the two.

A lot; and you'd be able to see it even in those shots. Broken glass, fixtures pushed around, non-straight viny siding, all sorts of stuff. Water expands when it freezes - no sign of confined expansion anywhere in those pics. My vote goes for a phoney set of pics.
Cheers,