Entire House Fills with Ice

Page 2 of 3
Nope, they hold a lien in the amount of the remaining mortgage. The owner of record remains the owner till an ownership transfer.

I don't follow this. A gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds (depending on the temperature). So I get 834,000 pounds. You must be using the weight of a cubic foot of water.

That's the weight I got too. Pretty simple math. I double checked and a gallon of water is 8.34lb (rounded figure). So I cant see where that 6,640,000 lb figure came from.
However, even if half the water went into the basement or down a drain, that would still be 417,000 LBS or 209 (rounded) TONS. No wooden structure could handle that. I farm, and years ago I tried to unload a round bale of hay, (which weighed about 3/4 ton). using 3 2x6 boards as a ramp. Sure enough, all 3 boards broke as the bale got midway down the ramp. Then the bale rolled down a hill, busted down a fence, and finally stopped leaving a large dent in an old junker car. Fortunately the car was going to the scrap yard, so it did not matter. On the other hand, the busted fence left a few horses an opportunity to escape and I spent much of the day chasing after them. I finally got them, then spent the rest of the day repairing the fence. Not one of my most brilliant days!!!
Jim

Pulled out the Pocket Ref, and a cubic foot is 62.4#, and 7.48 gallons per cu/ft. So, that's 8.34 # per gallon. Give or take a tiny bit.
Steve
that spec has been verified and discussed several times already.
--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain\'t seen nothin\' yet!
Just wait. You\'ll be cryin\' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Give him a chance! Just think about all the idiots who 're-elected' George W' for a SECOND term.
Sheesh! Cringing and embarrassed one presumes.
If this presidency doesn't work maybe America needs to consider some other form of government? One that is more representational of all citizens, free-er of lobbying, politics and the self interests of big business and the military-industrial complex.
Just look at who has to be 'bailed' out; this time!
It's no longer 'What is good for General Motors is good for America!' GMC corporation is the one that needed the MOST help!
Noting that Toyota isn't looking for a handout!
And badly regulated banks and corrupt financial and lending institutions/corporations that have caused this mess. It's quite clear that 'Free Enterprise' should not mean 'Freedom to rob'.
BTW. Does anyone remember the word 'Quisling' after WWII? Well; we need an equivalent to describe Cheney's role in recent events. "Puppet Master" maybe?
Mission ACCOMPLISHED indeed!
More like another hurried retreat from Saigon!
So let's repair our own house.

A liter of water weighs 1 kg. When frozen, it's weight will still be 1 kg. However, water expands on solidification and the density of ice is .917 kg/l. That means 1 kg of ice is 1.0905 liters.
Thus, this soon to be demolished house with it's 100,000 gallons of water has 109,050+ gallons of ice has had its foundation pushed out by the freezing of water and will have its fundation sucked back in by the thaw.
Dick

Gotta remember the ice would be pretty well self supporting as a monolithic block with the edges on the foundation walls, and the center beam in the middle. It would LIKELY have frozen in layers as the water flowed out.

Hey Jim, It sounds like for a farmer you aint too damn bright when it comes to the ol upstairs grey matter. "Who'd-uh-thunk" Bubba
dpb wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
I think you're off by a factor of 10.
8 feet * .433 psi/ft is only about 3.5 psi.

He's off by a lot more than that. A gallon of water weighs about 8-1/3 pounds, so 96,000 gallons would weigh 800,000 pounds, not 6.6 million.

800,000 pounds / 1600 sf = 500 pounds / sf = 0.29 psi.
Doug Miller wrote:

Suppose for a moment that your numbers are correct.
6,600,000/800,000 = 8.25, not all that different from "a factor of 10."

500/144 = 3.47, roughly what I said.

My fault. My final conversion is wrong.
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:19:21 -0800 (PST), gpsman

I'm surprized the glass did not break.

Looks to me more likely than filled house full of water that it ran down wall cavities and came out everywhere there was an opening. I'm sure there's water inside but doesn't appear to be a solid ice block on the inside of the windows nor would I expect it wouldn't have blown out a wall somewhere w/ that much weight/lateral loading. New meaning to "leak test", however...

But how would it get that high on the walls. Unless the break was upstairs, but there would be a stairway.... And it's on all sides of the house..... I agree, you'd think the weight would blow out both glass and maybe walls. I really dont fully understand the whole thing. They did say on the news that they estimated 100,000 gallons. Thats a lot of water. I wish I was colose enough to go look at it. But even if I was close, I suppose it's all "police taped" off anyhow for safety.
Jim

Simple -- it filled the wall cavities from the inside and running thru ceilings, etc.
Think putting a garden hose into a hole in the wall -- doesn't matter whether it's at the top or the bottom; more will come in than leak out and since you have supply pressure it will rise to the top and be force out wherever it can find an opening. The largest holes will have the most visible ice because they had the largest leak paths.
I seriously doubt there's but a few feet _AT_MOST_ standing inside.
I didn't look at every picture, but the ones I did that showed windows don't look to me at all like threre's a solid ice block against them on the inside.

Yes of course. The water lines run inside the exterior wall. That's where the break is, that's what filled up first. Some escaped and froze outside, the amount that escaped and froze inside may not be much different.

Looks to me more likely than filled house full of water that it ran down wall cavities and came out everywhere there was an opening. I'm sure there's water inside but doesn't appear to be a solid ice block on the inside of the windows nor would I expect it wouldn't have blown out a wall somewhere w/ that much weight/lateral loading. New meaning to "leak test", however...
Check the water meter records for the amount of water involved.
If the leak was at the right rate, the water could have frozen in layers, thus never really having the pressure on the walls of the equivalent depth of water (other than some effect from the expansion when freezing). The ice would be its own structure after freezing.
If the house didn't have leaks before, it does now, that's for sure.
Should we talk mold problems?

Possible, but I don't see how it could do that and have flowed outside as it did (in the quantity it did) if it was freezing at the same rate as flowing, essentially...
I'm convinced it isn't anyways even close to full of water (or ice) whether anyone else is or not... :)