Enlarging a hole for a de

Doug:
DK> OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a DK> Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The DK> backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but DK> the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires DK> 2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the DK> guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber DK> saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more DK> elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job. DK> DK> Anyone got a cool trick? Want a good laugh? This is what I did years ago. (Wish I was smart enough to think of plugging the hole and redrilling!) Put a half-inch bit in the electric drill, placed the bit against the side of the existing hole, turned on the drill, and basicly filed the sides of the hole to enlarge! Took an hour or so but worked!
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Computer Cooking: CAD: Someone who promises to cook, then doesn't
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:30:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

this has been discussed several times here. Drill the right size hole in a scrap of 1/2" plywood. C-clamp it over the existing hole where you want the new hole to be. Use the hole in the plywood to guide the holesaw. Usually just need to get it started in about 1/4", then you can remove the plywood and finish it through.
barry martin spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I just took a bit of plywood, put the right sized hole in it, then clamped it to the door with the hole in the correct spot, and gently drilled the hole larger while my brother held the door...
NOI
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:54:16 -0400, Thund3rstruck_n0i

Yes, but is your brother still alive? Send PROOF !!!!