Enlarging a hole for a de

Doug:

DK> OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a DK> Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The DK> backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but DK> the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires DK> 2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the DK> guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber DK> saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more DK> elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job. DK> DK> Anyone got a cool trick?

Want a good laugh? This is what I did years ago. (Wish I was smart enough to think of plugging the hole and redrilling!) Put a half-inch bit in the electric drill, placed the bit against the side of the existing hole, turned on the drill, and basicly filed the sides of the hole to enlarge! Took an hour or so but worked!

  • Computer Cooking: CAD: Someone who promises to cook, then doesn't
Reply to
barry martin

Do it the same way you enlarge a woman's hole!

Seriously, I have had to do exactly what you are saying. I used a saber saw and it was no real problem, especially since I was cutting a steel door. Of course I used a steel cutting blade, which took forever to cut the wood (fine teeth), but it got the job done. One thing I learned though. The saw base rattling against the metal door, took off some of the paint on the door. Fortunately this was just a garage door, so no biggie, but if I did it again, I'd apply several layers of duck or masking tape to the saw base plate. I'd assume it would also mess up the finish on a wooden door too if not taped.

Mark

Reply to
mark

Reply to
tony

barry martin spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I just took a bit of plywood, put the right sized hole in it, then clamped it to the door with the hole in the correct spot, and gently drilled the hole larger while my brother held the door...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

Yes, but is your brother still alive? Send PROOF !!!!

Reply to
_______