English as a second language

Why do I have to learn Spanish to be able to buy groceries in the United States? The country I was born and raised in. Now every time I go in a store everyone is speaking Spanish.
Last spring I heard a diesel p-cup in front of my house, after I still heard it after about 15 minutes I looked out the window. My new immigrant neighbors were running around in my yard catching baby quail. I opened the window and asked them, what are you doing in my yard? They pretended like they couldn't speak English, and made it clear they expected me to speak Spanish. When I asked, do I need to call the sheriff? They could suddenly, magically speak English. I told them to put those birds down and don't come back. They gave me dirty looks as they drove away. A few minutes later the adult quail came back, gathered up the babies and ran across the road to the pasture.
On 04/24/2016 06:44 PM, Dusty wrote:

Hold up a fake badge and yell "Immigration". They'll leave.
On 4/25/2016 4:55 AM, GOWGN wrote:

"La migra!" which is pronounced "lah meee grah"
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/24/2016 8:44 PM, Dusty wrote:

Strange, the American Indians had that same problem with Spanish speakers. Of course, they also had trouble with English speakers. Smallpox blankets, etc.
Couple of years from now, it will be Sharia every where in the USA. The boat goes down the river, and the scenery changes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 7:57:28 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How philosophical!
I would think a country of our stature would be more concerned about not rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell, as someone once put it.

Candidly, I think the USA is rapidly enroute to Hell. Transgender bathrooms is a symptom.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On 4/24/2016 8:44 PM, Dusty wrote:

I have new neighbors from Puerto Rica. They are bi-lingual speaking good English but converse together in Spanish. Very nice neighbors. Apparently with the Puerto Rican economy going down the toilet, a lot of them are coming to the mainland.
Of course, most of us are pissed at all the illegals getting away with it, but I post this as you cannot assume all Hispanics are illegal.
Frank wrote: "On 4/24/2016 8:44 PM, Dusty wrote: - show quoted text - I have new neighbors from Puerto Rica. They are bi-lingual speaking good English but converse together in Spanish. Very nice neighbors. Apparently with the Puerto Rican economy going down the toilet, a lot of them are coming to the mainland.
Of course, most of us are pissed at all the illegals getting away with it, but I post this as you cannot assume all Hispanics are illegal. "
I care not where someone comes from or their native language. They can speak whatever they want to each other, but business in this country - even just ordering a milkshake - is conducted in ENGLISH.
That goes for either side of the counter.
What pisses me off is when parents come into my place of business with their teenagers, and I ask the teenagers "Anything I can help you with today?", and they respond, in their language, that they don't speak English.
TEENAGERS? In THIS country, going to our schools, and they don't know a SCRAP of English?! I blame the parents before blaming the school system.

Ruddy good show! Whilst I was motoring home from the chemist with my flex, I had a puncture on my lorry, and had to go to the ironmonger. Did get to my flat, and needed a torch, as the tyke had taken the bulb out of the lamp. We had bangors and mash from macky dee, before I put the tyke in the pram and go to the flicks. Cheerio!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Old, true. I've gotten letters from folks who want $26 to help make English the official language of the USA. That's paraphrasing the reply I write on their sheet, and put in the post paid envelope to return.
--
.
Christopher A. Young