Engineered wood flooring

I was wondering how difficult it is to install engineered wood flooring compared to laminate flooring. I have done several laminate floors but dont know anything about the engineered wood flooring. Is this a viable DIY job.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Which product specifically? "Engineered wood" flooring is a pretty big target. As far as DYI, I would expect engineered products to be easier to install than hardwood flooring. The engineered stuff should be perfectly sized, stable, and straight. Hardware can start out pretty twisted.

Reply to
keith

Just as easy. I've done it a couple of times now and anyone that can read a ruler can do it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is this stuff water resistant enough to use in a kitchen?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Some is "click" like laminate, and some is T&G. The T&G can be laid floating like laminate with the joints glued..

Reply to
clare

.

I wouldn't do it. Even if you were convinced the wood was 100% waterproof, the seams will allow spills through, where they will sit, and grow things, and possibly stink depending on the spill (think rancid curry sauce... gag).

Reply to
mike

The top finish certainly is. My concern is larger spills that would get between the wood and seep under it. I'd probably go with something else, like ceramic tile but it depends on your tolerance to risk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are many types of "Engineered" wood floors, the term is really generic. Avoid all types with MDF backings, as they will be a problem with any moisture. I have used one that had "baltic birch" plywood backing and it survived a small flood when the water was turned on with the tap under the sink still open, one week after the flooring was installed. You cannot tell that it ever got wet.

Reply to
EXT