Engine hoist capacity

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

LOL
Well, a prebuilt gantry hoist runs $500-600. The steel to build one, with the prices of even scrapmetal thru the roof, wouldn't be cheap. I just had my garage built in the fall, and the package, for some reason, had some extra lumber. I've got a couple of long 4x4's, and some cutoff pieces 5' long or so. Also several 2x8's, and various 2x4 pieces. So if I could safely build a hoist with this, it would be almost free, other than my time. Then I could spend more on go fast parts! lol Really, I honestly thought that I could build a wooden hoist that would be much heavier duty than a store-bought hoist.I have a large, very heavily built outside hoist I made to lift car bodies off the frame. It is made from 6x6's, with tons of bracing, but it is too tall to go in the garage, and there is no way to take it apart. I have a good, heavy duty steel hydrualic cherrypicker at my father-in-laws garage, but he uses it quite a bit on our fleet so I don't want to take it from him. Also, our latemodel has a fairly long nose, sitting low to the ground, with a bit of engine setback. So even my good picker is stretching to do this motor. I figured that an overhead lifting hoist would work better on this car in particular. Maybe my original idea won't work, thats why I was looking for imput. My drawing board is always open! Big E
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:00:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote:

Did you think about a hoist during the planning and building, during the fall? What a great time to address this.
I'm surprised the framers left any wood! A good framer uses every scrap of lumber:)
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:13:50 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Thanks!
I never knew a Chrysler M4 tank engine came in at 5,244#s

I would not lift anything that heavy with wood. I know it has been done, and is currently done. However, there is a safety factor here, and the failures are catastrophic.
OSHA rules forbid lifting ANYTHING with rope in their rigging regulations. In the field, it is done ALL THE TIME, and done safely by people who know rope, knots, practices. Timber hitch is a common example. Works better and safer than a chain or sling, but they don't want you to use it.
If the wooden beam is all you have to work with, put two vertical support members to help distribute the load and make it a little safer.
Steve
big e lewis wrote:

I would glue and bolt together 2 or 3 2 x 8's if I couldn't get an I beam.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

i dont know about wood, but i was allways told to have double the lifting capacity for safteys sake.lucas