Energy Star natural gas direct vent water heater

I need to purchase a new water heater. I found 4 direct-vent gas water heaters in my area, only two would fit. None of these water heaters are Energy Star. Do Energy Star gas water heaters exist? I can buy a non-Energy Star, but there is no tax credit and it is not "green." There are tankless Energy Star heaters that cost more, but after reading Consumer Reports I don't want one of those due to the maintenance costs and the "cold sandwich" phenomenon. Is $800 reasonable for a natural gas direct vent 40 gallon water tank (6 year warranty)? Trying to keep costs under one grand and doing the install myself.

You may find a link from here to where you want to be http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=water_heat.pr_help_me
or this is a couple of clicks down. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=gas_storage.display_products_html
Phisherman wrote:

$800? Eek!
Lowes has several gas water heaters for around $400! Their MOST expensive (out of maybe 100 models) is $826.
Here's one from Lowes that IS Energy Star rated ($409) http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId2868-135-BFG2F4040T3NOV 7KE&lpage=none
Sears has at least four models in the $400 range that are Energy Star rated.
I'd expand my search area.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId2868-135-BFG2F4040T3NOV
Direct vent???
I think I payed 5-600 a year or two ago.

I need a water heater with direct vent, not a regular water tank. Sure there are water heaters for $400, but certainly not one with a double wall direct vent.
Phisherman wrote:

Oh.