Energy audit gave us 12 Compact fluorescent lights free

Buying a new furnace and the state is giving a $500 rebate if they come out and do an energy audit. The free lights arent bad either!
But, like other posts mentioned, the 65 watt CFL is about as bright as the 40 watt bulb it replaced.
They came up with a list of things they could do with a pricetag of about $1200
I'll use their list and take care of many of the items myself but I may take them up on insulating the attic....
Steve

A 15 watt cfl = 60 incandesant, Popular Mechanics did a recent test, its online. I dont think they make a 65CFL and they sure would not give them away free. A 65 CFL would be nearly as big as a standard flood light.

You are correct! I should have said it was 15 watt supposed to = 60 watt
ransley wrote:

They make some big CFLs nowadays. Check the online sellers. Bulbs.com has mogul base CFLs up to 200 watts, and ones with medium ("regular size") screw bases up to 80 watts. The 80 watt 2700K one is rated to produce 5,500 lumens, so this means 80 watts is its power consumption, not its incandescent equivalence.

There are many brands and models of compact fluorescents. Most claiming 60 watt equivalence actually do so in my experience unless they are at a temperature far from ideal.
Some things to consider:
1. Many take half a minute to a minute to warm up. Ones with outer bulbs and/or are rated for outdoor use can take longer.
2. They may overheat in small enclosed fixtures or in recessed ceiling fixtures. They may have reduced light output from being too hot.
3. In my experience, the following are prone to prdoucing less light than claimed:
* The GE FLB15, which I think has been obsolete for quite a few years now. * Many Lights of America models. (I have only bought one since 2001 because of this, and it also underperformed.) * At least 3 Maxlite models, and I have tried only 3. * Dollar store ones, and those are really bad at this in my experience.
* Ones that have experienced a few thousand hours of use - the phosphor does degrade with use.