Energy Audit

I had an energy audit done for my home. Yesterday the results appeared in my inbox.
I could have learned more in a cave. The only thing I learned was that my average electrical usage was slightly below that of similar-sized homes.
Mostly, this audit was a summary of what should have been blindingly obvious. For example: * What direction the building faced. * Who manufactured the two A/C compressor units. One was listed as "unknown," in spite of the letters "RUUD" six-inches tall on the side of the unit. * The building is a "detached single family". ("Detached" from what?) * Primary heating fuel is natural gas. * Home has accessible attic.
What I DIDN'T find out: * Do any of the windows need re-caulking? * Would insulating the attic folding stair (via an "attic tent" or equivalent) produce a discernible difference? If so, how much? * Where, in the attic, does the insulation need to be improved?
replying to HeyBub , passerby wrote:

No thermal imaging was used? I thought this would be the only reason to hire someone else to look at it. Other than things that you can only see in infrared, like you say, you pretty much know about your house and its deficiencies more than anyone (no matter how experienced) who just showed up ten minutes ago.
Did you actually have to pay or was it a freebie?
passerby wrote:

Free. From Reliant, my electricity provider.

Contact Reliant, be polite, speak to someone in management and let them know how p*ss poor the survey was. We did and the second time they sent someone out the job was done right.
Push come to shove contact one of the TV stations that do 'live on your side' sections.

Your utility regulators will be interested in your story since the utility charges a so-called "public benefits fund" and/or its ratepayers directly for such services. They, and you, didn't get your money's worth.
Tomsic
On 6/16/2013 7:51 PM, HeyBub wrote:

If your utility is like mine, they have a tiered system of energy audits. The free one is just a walk through/eyeball assessment, and it's worth what you paid for it. For a fee, you get the walk through and a blower test. Pay still more, and you get a thermal test as well.
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

You raise an obvious point.
Still, if I were going to offer a free "energy audit," I'd make it a good, professional, and comprehensive one so I wouldn't get complaints about the paucity of the results.
As things stand, the power company is held up to scorn and ridicule, surely the reverse of what they intended!
HeyBub wrote:

Hi, Detached means free standing single house. Have you done a IR image scan? Did they mount a blower in place of your front entry door and pressurize the house to check air leaks? These are things to be done to know what is going on re: energy audit. Also did they check your toilets? Laundry equipment, dish washer,etc.
On 6/15/2013 1:00 PM, HeyBub wrote:

If he was registered auditor I would be reporting him.
I had an audit done last year about this time. He did a blower door test, infrared image scan throughout the house, told me where I need to insulate, caulk, etc. He sent a report with the scanned images. Using his info, we decided on some major work of foam insulation on roof deck and rim joist. Then added a new furnace and central AC system including duct work (from a boiler/radiant heat system). After all was complete, we recalled the auditor to conclude the difference and he was flabbergasted at the drop of over 50%. We received rebates for the audit, the furnace/AC and the insulation totaling close to $4000.
According to our energy company, we are now top 3 in efficient homes within our area.
Auditing can be very favorable.
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:00:35 AM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:

my

the

I’m guessing that this was a free energy audit sponsored by your tax doll ars am I right?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It was free, but paid for, I assume, by my power company. At least the dude who did the deed was employed by Reliant.