Energizer leaky batteries

Page 1 of 2
This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Call up the battery company. I had a similar problem with Duracell brand. They asked me a few questions on the phone, then sent me a prepaid debit card for pretty close to the full value.
sidenote: whoever atctaully manufactures these cells (and I've seen this with "Sears", Duracell, and Everready, clearly changed their forumlation a few years ago.
I'm old enough to recall 1980ish when they all had adverts saying their new batteries wouldn't leak. And sure enough, the leakage problem ended.
Then about 5 years ago I, and other folk I've spoken with, started seeing it again. Both in batteries in appliances and also in ones still in their original packaging.

On 05/07/2015 09:40 PM, danny burstein wrote:

Given Stormin's usual practices they were made by the Chung King Battery Company in Xiangxi.
On 5/8/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

Most likely Ho Lee Krapp factory, in Lee Kee Sells, China. Imported for fuzzy Energizer bunny.

We all laugh at the poor quality of that molded Battery Charger which cost us $0.80 Yet, it has been my observation that countries/companies can learn how to make high quality, but they NEVER seem to learn how to make low cost. I'm old enough to remember the cost quality ratios from Germany AND from Japan. As a joke we used to pick up ANYTHING that broke, turn pieces of it over, and preteend to read, "Made in Japan." and everyone had a good laugh. Back then, German optics seemed like the ONLY source, now I readily seek Japanese optics. Yep, the Germans NEVER learned how to lower their prices, but the Japanese certainly learned how to make quality. ...now apply that concept to China's supply chain. ...shiver. The rest of the world's manufacturing doesn't stand a chance.
On 05/08/2015 06:38 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

In their turn, at the start of the industrial revolution when Britain was king of the hill, German goods were considered to be cheap junk handcrafted in a cow barn.
Perhaps the next stop will be Africa for cheap junk.
On 5/8/2015 8:38 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I remember the Made in Japan jokes, those were good. Now, it's chinky junky, for my jokes.
The world sure is changing. Rapidly so.
On 5/12/15 4:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

the cheapest junk he could find. Then the Army came out with the M1803, the world's foremost military rifle. The British looked at their Bakers and realized there really had been a revolution.
On 5/8/2015 7:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My thought: Crappy batteries or crappy device? Will shorted out device contribute to battery leakage?
On 05/08/2015 07:06 AM, Frank wrote:

That's always possible. Several years ago I bought some LED flashlights at CostCo. 3 for $20. They were well made and had a feature where the end cap button would illuminate when the batteries got low. Unfortunately, that feature placed a parasitic load on the batteries ensuring they would drain down in a month or two.
The design was corrected in the next batch. No indicator light and the batteries last as expected.
On 5/8/2015 9:06 AM, Frank wrote:

One was a closet light with a mechanical switch, left turned off. Not much chance of long term drain.
Other was a FRS handi talkie, with push button off switch. "might" had a drain.
I think shorted or left on will contribute.
On 5/8/2015 11:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Rarely see leaky batteries but last time I saw one was when kid was playing with an LED flashlight and left turn on switch ajar.
Closet light with batteries, knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.
On 5/8/2015 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

Knowing you, say some thing unkind while ignoring the actual contents of the post. And while displaying gross ignorance.
On 5/8/2015 3:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not trying to be unkind. Lighten up.
On 5/8/2015 4:15 PM, Frank wrote:

If you'd acted like you read my post, my reply would have been different.
On 5/9/2015 10:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I read it carefully.
Said you were getting old and leaky.
On 5/9/2015 12:47 PM, Frank wrote:

Very good, sir. Now we're on the same page.
On 05/08/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

Maybe try some Thunderbolt Magnums?
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-pack-aa-alkaline-batteries-92404.html
$6.99 for a 24 pack

I buy genuine Toceba and Dinacell batteries at the local flea market.
On 5/7/2015 11:40 PM, danny burstein wrote:

That is on my list of things to do. Can't remember if Duracell or Energizer, one wanted the serial or batch code lightly stamped into the side of the battery. I'd never noticed that.