Ends Of Outside Wood: Coating A Good Idea ?

Hello,
Contractor used some good size wooden beams to span an outside Deck to help support it.
Wood was the "Outdoor" type, so all O.K. there.
But, the ends where it was trimmed to look good are of course bare.
Is this a potential problem ?
Should I coat them with "something", or just forget about it ?
If so, with what ? Linseed Oil perhaps, or... ?
Thanks, Bob

You didnt say "rated for ground contact". If so, shouldnt be any reason why you'd need to seal the ends.
If you're so inclined you could use something like Cuprinol. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid 0
-dickm

The ends were cut so Code requires the ends to be sealed.
"Robert11" wrote

A small container of Thompson's water seal would be the thing to use.
cshenk wrote:

I thought the consensus wat that Thompson's was just a waste of money?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There might be better products (I dont read every thread). I've had good luck with it though. Could be climate related issues I suppose. I'm middle VA Coastal area so it's wet frequently but not all that cold compared to those north of us.
What Thompson's seems not so great at is on the top floorboards (wears off) but it's easy to apply another coat. I do recall a fellow in snow country who didnt think very well of it. Could that be it?

I've rarely seen anything good about it here.