Enclosing patio need to pour foundation?

OK, so I want to enclose our covered patio which has a 4 inch slab floor. According to the city I have to cut the slab and pour a foundation. Is there any good sources of info to get me started in the right direction? I need to learn enough so I can ask questions!
Thanks, Dan
Danny wrote:

ask the city(code inspector) how deep the footing should be... if they dont know, call up a local concrete supply house. the ones that sell reinforcement wire, visquine, concrete supplies... thats what i had to do the city would not give me any help.. i dont think the guys in the office knew how deep the footing should be.. i then checked my house plans and took off from there(the footing was as deep as the footing for the house, about 18 inches (its a brick house on slab).....

Specs for footers and a foundation vary from one locatino to another, depending on the code as well as your local weather conditions. I would check with the city again for specs before I started looking for methods.
Wayne