Enclosing AC unit/condenser

Page 2 of 2

I hope you're right, for the OP's sake.
On 6/11/2013 8:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

It's not rocket science. Put a thermometer on top in the exit path. Obscure the sides to various degrees. Cardboard works. If the temperature goes up, it costs you money. Just decide how much more you want to spend and obscure it that much.

/

g.

de quoted text -

Ahhh, the analtyical approach. I think the method is valid, as long as all else remains constant.
On 6/10/2013 7:45 PM, Meanie wrote:

That looks like an American Standard unit but heck some of the less expensive units have started to copy the look now. A lattice with the 3-4" inch square openings is what I have on my back porch and the same type would work fine around your AC condenser as long as you don't put anything over the top. The picture helped a lot and I think you'll do just fine. You are in luck to have the condenser with the type louvers protecting the coils from any damage. The only problem is you have to inspect it closely so you can see any dirt or dust build up clogging the fins. Of course, if you decide to spray it with a water hose, don't use a high pressure stream because you can bend the thin aluminum fins covered by the louvered cover, always use a gentle fan spray. ^_^
TDD

It works. It gets a lot of crud the hose will not.

Louvers would be good. I'd make a frame of 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 and set the louvers inside of it. As you state, mounted for easy removal when required. You can get fairly large spacing and plenty of air flow. Done right, there would be minimal restriction.
I'd also keep the back and right side open if not very visible when enjoying the outdoors. .
On 6/10/2013 10:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

1 x 4 would be perfect considering the 4 x 4 posts.
After posting the photo and providing the info yesterday, I was thinking along the same lines. Since it really won't be seen, other than the neighbors and when doing garden work, I agree finishing two sides is the best solution.
Thanks