Enclosing AC unit/condenser

de quoted text -

Ahhh, the analtyical approach. I think the method is valid, as long as all else remains constant.

Reply to
trader4

1 x 4 would be perfect considering the 4 x 4 posts.

After posting the photo and providing the info yesterday, I was thinking along the same lines. Since it really won't be seen, other than the neighbors and when doing garden work, I agree finishing two sides is the best solution.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Do the math. Hint: #1 the fins take up space, same as lattice does. To be accurate, you have to know the fin spacing and thickness of the material. #2 if it is not enclosed on alls ides, you will still be sucking air in from the open sides.

FWIW, I worked for a company that made such coils for 7 years and have a bit of experience with them. Biggest coils we made were 20' long x

4' high, smallest was 6" x 6".
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It works. It gets a lot of crud the hose will not.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the coils aren't needed and used on all 4 sides, then why spend the money putting coils on all 4 sides?

Why not just make it 10' long then?

Reply to
trader4

Anything will restrict to some degree, but look how little the openings are on main unit.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I never said they were not needed. How did you interpret that?

It is going to suck air all over. On the sides with the lattice, the ends are open where there is no lattice. Air moves around as needed. It can get sucked around the corner and across the coils. There will be sufficient air flow to cool properly.

He is probably going with louvers. Same situation. There is plenty of open space to draw the needed air. The louvers can be made of 1/4" material to further reduce restrictions.

As long as the openings around the coils equal the opens space of the coil, there is no restriction or loss of air flow. Look where the posts are located. Between the post and the unit there is plenty of space to draw air even if the two panels were solid. As I said, do the math. The fins and tubing take up quite a bit of space.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski