Enclosing AC unit/condenser

Page 1 of 2
Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

Why didn't you ask the installers? I would say it depends on how close and what kind of lattice. The air needs to get in from the sides and exit from the top. Anything that impedes that or that results in the hot air wrapping around and coming back in, is going to impede that.
On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:58:42 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Yes.
On 6/9/2013 3:54 PM, Meanie wrote:

If you could post a picture, I could make some recommendations. If you're around deciduous trees, any kind of lattice or screen catches leaves on the outside and even the inside. You may not see debris blocking the condensing unit if it's out of sight. When I was servicing residential HVAC systems, I recommended cleaning a straight AC at least once a year and a heat pump at least twice a tear. If the condenser is blowing straight up, you really don't want anything blocking it at all. Around the sides it's not so critical. ^_^
TDD
I'd call and talk with the installers. Failing that, any service company should be able to check superheat and subcooling before and after lattice installed, and the unit running. See if the lattice is interfering with performance. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for
aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My
plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If enclosed on two sides while the rest is open is no problem. If the lattice is fairly open and a little distance away, still no problem. Be sure the leaving air is free to go too. If you restrict the fan you are adding load.

Ditto - Everything already said.
On Jun 9, 10:51 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. I would think if you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two sides of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those two sides. Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2 of it could have an impact, I would think.

blocking any airflow will make the system less efficent, and may shorten its life......
since OP got a new unit why didnt they have the compressor relocated?
with the skyrocketing cost of electric using more isnt a good idea at least for your wallet
On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:07:23 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I'd have found another location myself.
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 05:54:51 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. You only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. There was no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual shield.

I'm not convinced you get the same airflow with a lattice 2" away from the side of a condenser.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Do the math. Hint: #1 the fins take up space, same as lattice does. To be accurate, you have to know the fin spacing and thickness of the material. #2 if it is not enclosed on alls ides, you will still be sucking air in from the open sides.
FWIW, I worked for a company that made such coils for 7 years and have a bit of experience with them. Biggest coils we made were 20' long x 4' high, smallest was 6" x 6".

If the coils aren't needed and used on all 4 sides, then why spend the money putting coils on all 4 sides?

Why not just make it 10' long then?
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:51:36 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I never said they were not needed. How did you interpret that?
It is going to suck air all over. On the sides with the lattice, the ends are open where there is no lattice. Air moves around as needed. It can get sucked around the corner and across the coils. There will be sufficient air flow to cool properly.
He is probably going with louvers. Same situation. There is plenty of open space to draw the needed air. The louvers can be made of 1/4" material to further reduce restrictions.
As long as the openings around the coils equal the opens space of the coil, there is no restriction or loss of air flow. Look where the posts are located. Between the post and the unit there is plenty of space to draw air even if the two panels were solid. As I said, do the math. The fins and tubing take up quite a bit of space.

Anything will restrict to some degree, but look how little the openings are on main unit.
Greg
First, thanks for the inputs.
Second, I enclosed a photo for those interested. You can view here >> http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/adjustable-passenger-floorboards/part/BA-7000-00
The installation partook last August and at that time, I didn't think about enclosing it. The installers and myself were discussing several location options and they thought it best where it is. I had to cut away the section of my deck in order to fit it there. I did not want it on top of deck for obvious reasons.
The square opening is roughly 46" on each side. You'll see the 4x4 posts which I already installed. The objective is to install the lattice and framing to the posts. At this time, I am now thinking of louvers instead of lattice. Whichever way I go, it'll be encased in a frame and most likely have eye-bolts to rest on L-hooks on the post, two per side, high and low for easy removal. I also plan to make a removable screen to rest on top during the fall and early spring when the Maple seeds drop, since many end up in the unit.
The framed enclosure (whichever I use), is roughly 6" from the unit. As you can also see, one side is facing the house, roughly one foot.
Viewing the picture is also facing south. We get a good wind coming from the west (right of picture) often.
I'm contemplating louvers since I believe it'll allow more airflow.
Anything I left out?
Oops.....wrong link
Correct link >>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/9010876967/

That looks a whole lot more relevant to the topic<g>.
Anything around the sides is going to make it a lot easier for the air exhausting the top to get pulled back into the sides unless there is some sort of additional barricade between the top and the sides, like a big flat plate with a hole in the middle for the exhaust air, and extending horizontally to the tops of the side panels.and the building.

I don't see that being the case to any large degree. I think the upward flow sucks air horizontally.
Greg