Enclosed Hot Water vent?

I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the propane hotwater vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling. With the hotwater heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch. Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the vent pipe in the corner?
This is a new house and they did not enclose the water heater vent. Where did you buy it, at Wal-Mart? Yes, you can enclose it, the builder should have enclosed it not leave it exposed in a corner. What other corners did your builder cut, I would take a close look before your warranty runs out, if you have one.

I guess I should have clarified. This house is new to me. It is 6 years old and this is a converted attic addition.

message

pipe. You can enclose as long as you leave at least 1" clearance between the pipe and any combustible materials