EMT with compression fittings for compressed air?

Stupid question time. Will thin-wall electrical conduit with zinc compression fittings work for a compressed air manifold, or will the couplings leak too much? Copper has gotten expensive, and iron pipe has to be threaded.

I know I could use CPVC plastic pipe, but what fun is that? Thanks.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

EMT would be safer. Not recommended, but safer. CPVC, and PVC are not recommended for compressed air systems because of the volitile result of a rupture. Shards a flyin'. Do a test with some EMT to see if it leaks any, but I'm thinkin' the range of fittings available for it won't be too airtight. Spend the money! You could rent a threader, and iron can be purchased pre-threaded, and the ease of fitting is worth the expense. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

This is Turtle.

You need to check the prices of the EMT fitting lately for they have went up with the copper. All basic metal fitting is going up. Now PVC has not.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

the copper. All basic metal fitting is going up.

I have a big coffee can of misc. fittings, so I might not have to buy any except for a few iron pipe T's and ells. But I agree if I have to buy more than a couple of EMT fittings, it would eat up all the savings vs. using L copper.

But now that I thought of it, I *gotta* see if an EMT compression fitting will hold 110 pounds of compressed air without leaking (clamped down, so it doesn't shoot apart like a rocket!) if I lube the compression sleeves with RTV.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

the copper. All basic metal fitting is going up.

This is Turtle.

Use the Harding type RTV stuff and not the stay soft stuff. Now i might warn you to watch out here because of the EMT is not designed for air pressure lines. You may get wooped up side the head by it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Air hose is $8 for 50 feet at harbor freight, and $13 for 1/2" dia.

Unless you got a real good deal on EMT and fittings, a couple of sections of hose will go a long way towards plumbing, safely.

The same straps that hold EMT in place will hold rubber hose as well.

And if copper comes down, and you do plumb permanently, you'll have hoses you can still use.

Reply to
John Hines

the copper. All basic metal fitting is going

watch out here because of the EMT is not

I've about decided to test it with a couple of short scraps of EMT, just as a curiosity, then do the job right with hard L copper.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob