EMT electrical conduit -- how many NM wires?

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, July 12, 2013 5:57:19 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

I ran two romex inside 1/2" liquidtight going to my furnace and it was an easy fit. I would think you could do the same with metal. think you'd get two inside metal as well.
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:32:52 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You could get 2 in there if you aligned them perfectly and pulled them in together but it is still an over filled conduit. He also has another issue, the existing box is probably not big enough to terminate 2 cables.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Probably not applicable in this case, but you are allowed to ignore conduit fill calculations for cases where the cables are passing through a short length of conduit sleeve. What was it, 24" length max?

It is 24" max, but you are *not* permitted to simply "ignore conduit fill calculations". Rather,
"where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24") are installed between boxes, cabinets, or similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their cross-sectional area ..." [2005 NEC, Chapter 9 Tables, Note 4]
On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:16:37 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:

It was probably about 5 feet long. I don't remember having any difficulty getting the two romex to go in either. And they were not brand new, perfectly flat either. Both were re-use of the existing.

NO, NO, NO. Do not add two j-boxes. add one 4" sq box at top of EMT. You will need to pull the wire back out of the outlet box anyway to add on the box. Now cut and strip the old wire so you have 6" inside the box, this wire is now too short to make it back down the the oulet. Use 2 new runs of 14-2NM to go to the old box and to the new box for your light.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Randy333 wrote:

Well, duh. . . , I should have thought of that. Thanks. That's a good idea.
Jake29 wrote:

Oops, "Jake29" = "TomR" (me, the OP).
I accidentally posted from a different account that has a different identity associated with it.
On 7/12/2013 4:01 PM, TomR wrote:

Pull the existing romex out of the outlet box and conduit and route it to your new light fixture location.
Run a new piece of romex from your new light fixture to the old receptacle.
Big Al wrote:

Also a good idea! With the setup that I have there now, that's would be the easiest thing for me to do. Thanks.
Jake29 wrote:

Oops, "Jake29" = "TomR" (me, the OP).
I accidentally posted from a different account that has a different identity associated with it.
On 7/12/2013 3:01 PM, TomR wrote:

If you're worried about protecting the wire and it's in a fairly dry location, have you considered MC cable? It's a lot easier to install than conduit and the wire is inside the metal cladding. You don't have to buy a whole roll and you can probably get the length you need cut at many hardware stores or even one of the Lowe's/Depot stores. You don't have to buy a Roto-Split tool for a few connections but there are easy to use one screw connectors having an integral insulated bushings used to install the cable into the conduit boxes. ^_^
TDD
On Friday, July 12, 2013 4:01:12 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

an

ext

gh

ide

*I would install a round box in the ceiling area and pull the existing Rome x up from the sump pump outlet and bring it into the round box on the ceili ng. Then run a new Romex down from the round box into the sump pump outlet box. Pig tail the pull chain light so that the load is not feeding though the pull chain socket.
There should be a connector at the top of the EMT to prevent pullout and to act as a bushing. In this case you need a 1/2" EMT to Romex changeover co nnector.