Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

Page 5 of 5
On Dec 25, 2:42�pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

its for EMERGENCIES, fuel is automatically stored onboard with no risk or expense, just keep tank full........ Inverters have limits but are dirt cheap.
RVers use inverters constantly
modern inverters have a long list of safety built in.
low voltage, high voltage, overheat all of these automatically shut down the inverter and throw up a trouble code so you know what went wrong

An Rv gen is not a car gen, its heavy duty vs my economy thing. Drive a car there is airflow keeping things under control, to get power he will need alot more than idle, maybe 12-1500 rpm, in a car that has no air flow it will stress things to be overheated possibly. Alternators can charge a battery but every mechanic I talk to says you shorten their life, ruin it if you abuse them. An alternator costs alot more than a cheap chinese gen and will leave you stranded, if its 5 minutes running I would do it, with a junk car ok, maybe a truck with a big gen, but not a driver unless I knew with the right equipment that I wasnt damaging anything. A new alternator for me is im sure over 300, Northern Tool has a cheap chinese 1000w gen that has a very good review at alt.energy.homepower for only 100 dollars. Be stranded when you abuse your car alternator now in winter, or get a cheap 100$ chinese gen. I take the genertor route for 100$

at idle the alternator acts like a load and the engine automatically increases power, its not rocket scence, and just like your cars engine speeds up when the AC kicks in
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:21:59 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Alternator load does NOT increase the engine speed. The idle speed compensating devise (idle air control, or whatever) keeps the idle at specified idle speed when load increases or decreases - but idle speed is NOT enough to produce full output - nor is it high enough to cool the alternator at the maximum power it is able to produce at idle - in MOST cases.

And you dont know what you are talking about at all. the idle increase you see is from an AC idle speed circuit, and NO a car does not increase speed automaticly with a heavy alternator load. Unless things have changed recently.
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 05:01:24 -0800 (PST), ransley

They have in many ways, but not in THAT way.
There are two, and possibly 3 things that will cause the engine to speed up which are load related. AC is the most common. Power sterring pressure is another relatively common one. Turn the steering wheel on some vehicles and the idle speed will increase. The third is trans load. Putting SOME cars into drive causes the idle speed to increase. VERY few.

Make sure you don't use it so much you can't start the car.

Mark Lloyd
On Dec 20, 4:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The generator is easily refuelable, and you already have 120 Volt devices.
If the power outage outlasts the batteries, you're screwed. Plus, you have to purchase all the 12 Volt devices and store them.
A 1000 Watt Honda is about the same size and weight as one golf cart battery, and storage is as easy as draining the gas tank and throwing it in a closet. You'll need several golf cart batteries to power 12V devices for several days, and a way to charge and maintain them for the 99.9% of the time you aren't using them.
The only way 12V would be practical is if you lived in an RV, but then you wouldn't be asking that question.