Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

Page 2 of 5
When generator isn't an option (per subject line) then batterysys (sic) are the only other optionsys.
LED do last longer. But generally they are a rather blue light, and very short range. Fluorescents are crisp clean white, and also short range. The old filament bulbs are good if you want to see something at a distance, like a racoon in a tree. The Mag LED flash lights tend to be crisp white light, and also good for distance. I have a couple 3D Mag lights, and very pleased with them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have a RayoVac 1W 2AA flashlight($18) that throws a nice bright beam,is rugged,nicely built,and compact.I was in Target yesterday,and they had a couple of nice 1 and 2 watt LED flashlights that ran on 2 AA,one using 2 C cells.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Unless that blue is absorbed by the atmosphere more than other colors, range should be the same as with any other visible-light light.
However, range can be MUCH improved by forming the light towards a pencil-beam -- easy IF it comes with a maglight-type narrow-wide twisting-front.
I've got such a thing (costco), and distance is fine, as long as narrowed-down.
Also, re reading by led-light, I bought (costco again) a "head-lamp" (straps onto head, shines fwd like a miner's light), and it is SUPER for read in the movie theater during that 20 or more minutes of ads for other movies, etc.
(Except, amazingly, I've been angryly (sp?) asked (told) to turn it off during that -- some people LIKE the damn things! Takes all kinds, I guess.)
David
Many LED lights have a very poor reflector system, and are wide beam, short range.
Mag's official brand of LED light is presently available in 2D through 4D battery sizes. I bought a couple on sale. They are very bright, and crisp white light. The beam reaches a good far distance. I like them.
As to head light in the theatre, I would't personally be upset with someone reading during the prelude. I am upset by people with cell phones during the show itself.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wut iz uh "perosn"?
TDD

What's it called? and
Where'd you get it?
Thanks,
David
I think the jumper pack sounds excellent for cold light. Fans from computer power supply is also good. I have a couple of those little fans, I ought to see about wiring them up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Dec 20, 4:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

I have a 19.5 cu ft frige that pulls 120 watts, maybe 600 surge, 100w of cfl= 400 watts, hows a frige an issue or a tv.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

In addition to what the others have said, forget about the jump start batteries. I use deep discharge batteries, like trolling motor batteries, along with an inverter. With a properly sized inverter it will handle compact florescence lights without any problem. An inverter big enough for the fridge will run one battery down pretty quick. Be sure and get a good intelligent battery charger and top the batteries off every month or so.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

They are very limited on AH and are not designed for deep discharge.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

A normal "jump start battery is 12 to 22 AH. When it's dead, you are out of power unless you have a generator to recharge it. A pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries (GC2H) is about 225 AH - an average trolling motoer battery somewhere around 100AH.. That is 1.2kwh - equivalent to running the 1000 watt Honda for 1.2 hours.
The generator is a lot more flexible - particularly the inverter type "E" series Hondas which throttle to provide only the amount of power being drawn - unlike a normal AC generator that needs to run at a fixed speed regardless of load. Just make sure you have gasoline available, or it is as useless as a dead battery.
I have a lamp cord with a lighter plug on each end. One goes into the vehicle, other one to the jump pack. By the time I get home from some where, the jumper pack is recharged.
If you don't need to haul it around, trolling bateries are far better amps for the bucks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

First, you must ask yourself EXACTLY what you want to power and prioritize the importance of each. Only then will you be able to get useful advice on how to generate the necessary power.
Personally, I believe a small Honda (I own an EU2000i) MAY be the most simple, reliable, least hastle-prone solution (it was for me) but NOONE will be able to give you good advice until YOU are able to identify your needs and wants.

Agree
Well Id need to keep warm..... I guess that "could" be a electric heater rather than trying to power gas furnace... but then the amp draw would be tremendous. Yes?
And would need 'some" light..... ability run small microwave to cook with
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

It's been more than 20 years but I remember running a small house off a little Honda generator in the attic. I had a box fan in the gable vent that always ran whenever the generator was on. It was one of those strange times when a damn hippie house mate screwed things up with the power company so bad that the utility demanded a huge cash deposit to restore the power. Life is such a wild mix of experiences.
TDD
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:22:59 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Given those requirements you want an E2000 Honda. Nothing less.
On Dec 20, 7:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Microwave?? get a portable gas stove, my furnace 87000 btu pulls 375 watts, maybe 800+ surge, old units use more. You have to test everything with an amp meter and no guessing allowed, even know surge load. A gen would work if you had a good place to set it up, and a Honda EU nobody will hear, look at db ratings at Honda. And have a new digital Co meter inside and check peak level often.