emergency heating of home with hot water tank

Page 1 of 3
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.
I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox 130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.
live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on occasion:(
would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.
probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.
I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared;)
any thoughts on this idea?

If your furnace is 40 years old and in a basement, it may run without electric. Open the filter door and see if there are emergency instructions. I assumed it's forced hot air?
Al

yeahforced air but no way to do this safely with this model, valves cant be opened manually and a good friend says it would crack the heat exchanger. besides were talking of getting a new furnace since we recently paid off the home.
i am mst curious about the garden hose heater or me its a brand new idea
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How much heat is a garden hose going to give off?

thats what I wonder/
with not much pressure they will tolerate hot water, have used them to melt ice and snow once.
he bigger the difference between room and water the more heat they would likely liberate.
its a novel idea
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But if they do spring a leak, you've got wet floors, no power to run a fan to dry them and possibly cold enough temps so you'll have ice *inside* the house as well as outside.

And therefore the sooner it will cool off.

And possibly a dangerous one. At a minimum I wouldn't leave the hose spread out if I had to leave the house. I think I'll opt out on this idea.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

nothe goal would be to remain in your home, assuming a decent non leaking hose to start i doubt leaks would be a problem, since the water would be flowing not really under much pressure

Per hour?

You might look for a way to use the "waste heat" (80% of the output.)

... 100' of 1" diameter hose (ie 26 ft^2) and a 1.5 Btu/h-F-ft^2 slow- moving airfilm conductance might move (120-70)26x1.5 = 1950 Btu/h with 120 F water and 70 F house air. An 800 Btu/h-F automobile radiator might move (120-70)800 = 40K Btu/h. It would be more efficient to pump water back into the heater than to dump it down a tub drain.
Nick
Someone did this in NY during a power failure. It was reported on the radio. There are some companies who make tubes, to install hot water into the floor. Wirsbo comes to mind. You'll have to experement to see what works for you.
My guess is that this will not keep your home comfortably warm -- just barely warm maybe.
Christopher A. Young You can't shout down a troll. You have to starve them. .
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.
I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox 130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.
live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on occasion:(
would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.
probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.
I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared;)
any thoughts on this idea?

A kerosene heater is a good idea. They also provide heat if your furnace breaks! My wife doesn't care for the smell, but I don't notice it.

Gonna be a really big hot water bill...
Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.
Never try to warm the entire house..aint gonna be any easy way to do it without some seriously bit BTUs
Gunner
Political Correctness

To give my house a bigger look, they put no doors on any first floor room or on any part of the stairs, so the basment club room, the living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, and upstairs hall are all connected. I could retreat to one room, but it hasn't been necessary yet. It would also cut me off from the bathtub steam.
There was one time when we had no electricity for I think 3 or 4 days, and I was starting to call peopel for a place to stay. Unfortunately most of my friends didn't have electricity either. Just when I was really feeling cold, the power came back on.
You have to have a source of fresh air if you are burning kerosene or propane, and I'mnot sure how big a source. Once for a friend, Icouldn't decide and I was afraid she'd lose more heat out the window than the propane heater would make. Any advice on that?

Humidity is highly overrated. A bedroom is a good place to lager up, particularly one with a bathroom <G> Heat rises..second story is good, though a case can be made for basement, with its natural surrounding heat sump.

Sure. Open a window about 1/2" or so...this of course only if your window opens vertically. The sliders need less of a gap than that. If you notice a headache coming on..open it a bit more.
On the other hand...a very GOOD investment is one of those First Alert CO detectors that can run off batteries when the power is off. I have one in each area of my house. It comes in handy no matter what, in the winter time. One can have a leak in the firebox or heat exchanger during normal times and get monoxided without knowing about it. Smoke detectors and CO detectors are part of the Normal preparations a survivalist needs.

I should mention..I grew up in the Copper Country of northern Michigan..up in the way upper part of the upper peninsula..that little finger of land sticking up with Lake Superior on both sides of it. Average snow fall being 144"...12 feet and the average mid winter temps around -20F on a warm day.
Been there, done that.
Gunner
Political Correctness

Maybe that was your impression, but I have many occasions when humidity made the place feel at least 10 degrees warmer than it actually was. And I've never had any of the bad side effects, like water dripping off of things, that others warn about.

On the main occasion, it was an old person who I didnt' trust to keep track. IIRC, he had headaches all the time to begin with. :(

I think CO detectors are good things. Mine woke me up once with its noise, and it was a good thing. Another 24 hours and I might have been dead. And of course another 6 hours of CO and I might have been able to sleep for another 24 hours.

Political Correctness, a policy of not crapping on people because they are different, especially not doing so in public.
A policy of not calling someone a nigger, etc. even if that is the way you feel about him.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/Printable.asp?IDs57 http://blog.case.edu/james.chang/academic/index
But its ok to call folks redneck, hillbilly, cracker, riechtard and so forth. THATS politically correct
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pol/242953856.html
http://blindpig.blogs.com/outside_the_perimeter/2004/08/when_anarchists.html
Seems the Left likes to redefine Freedom of Speech to include their own actions..but not to their opponents.
Fascinating, no?
So you think that there is a clean end of a turd?
Gunner
Political Correctness

Of course not. Where would you get such an idea>? By the same definition I just gave "a policy of not crapping on people because they>>are different, especially not doing so in public", it isexcluded.

You may find a couple examples, but for every one there are just as many by conservatives. Maybe no one tells you about them. There are people like this in every group.
You are being misled by right-wing jerks.

I think you lose all credibilty when you are vulgar. Are you 15 years old.

So where is the outrage when the Left does it..and does it nearly all the time? Did you view the cites above?

you heard of conservatives protesting a leftwing speaker and doing all in their power to shut them down? Campus's are particularly bad about this. The bastions of "diversity" and "freedom of expression" and they virtually riot whenever a conservative speaker comes to give a speech.

You are in denial.

Blink blink...chuckle..vulgar? So tell me old chap..what IS the proper name for a unit of fecal material?
Im 53yrs old btw..dirty fingernails and a rather blunt manner, with a tolerance for bullshit reaching zero. Ooops..vulgarity again.
Gunner

Political Correctness

Yup. I nailed blankets over a wide doorway in the early 1980's to cut down my heat bill in eastern SoDak. It helped a lot.
-- Mark
says...

Maybe more efficient to use "space blankets"?
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /

Not if I had to buy 'em. In those days the wolf at the door frequently barged in and ate our dinner. (He hated rice & lentils but he gobbeled them anyway.) I'm now in the upper __% of income winners world-wide and history-wide, but the hurt of those early, painful, poor days is aways present. I *really* appreciate being able to go to the McDonalds drive through whenever I want, and I recall about 15+ years ago when it first became possible.
In the days I nailed blankets over the doorway, as the saying goes, "I was too poor to pay attention."
-- Mark