Email from eBay

That right there makes me suspicious. The general rule is that if a company with which you have a business relationship is contacting you, they will use your name in the contact. Because, after all, they have that information.

But scammers do not. Scammers send out a mass phishing email to thousands if not millions of email addresses. They don't address their potential victims by name because they don't have that information - but by masquerading as a legitimate business contact, they're hoping you'll hit their link and obligingly provide them with the information they're seeking.

Maybe the email is legit, but I would treat it with caution.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

As would I, BUT...

As I observed, and as others have pointed out, the email DID have my Ebay User name within the body, it was sent to my registered Ebay address and NOWHERE in the email was there a link to click on to change my password. Thus, it was about as dangerous as reading a warning posted on Kim Komando's site or posts that there is a problem.

If you NEVER click on a link contained in this sort of email and merely read the warning and take appropriate action by independently going to the site and doing your thing, you'll have little, if anything, to worry about.

What slays me is an otherwise well designed phishing email that, when you roll over the link, you'll see that it's something like:

...foxynuts.ru yet it purports to be an official email from either the IRS or US Postal Service. Always good for chuckle before launching it into the junk mail folder.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused