Eliminating dust specks

I've managed to paint a glass smooth, brush-stroke free finish using semi-gloss oil, but there are a few dust specks that I'd like to get rid of. I just bought some 1500 grit sandpaper and some rubbing compound, but I haven't tried them yet. Any advice on how to proceed appreciated.
Greg Esres wrote:

painting a ceiling; didn't see it until it was dry. Gave it a shave. Worked nicely, but I didn't have a "glass smoothe" surface to mar :o)
use tack cloth before painting

I'm thinking the dust arrived after painting.
Norminn: <<Worked nicely, but I didn't have a "glass smoothe" surface to mar :o)>>
I'm looking for perfection, else I'd used latex. ;-) Tried the sandpaper and rubbing compound. Made the surface very smooth, but the gloss level is lower than the untouched paint.