Eliminating cat urine smell from under the house

urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else that might be more effective. __________ Ryan, baking soda isn't going to touch it. You need a deodorizer similar to "Nature's Miracle" which you can get in a place like Petsmart. There are many products like this

this stuff needs to come in contact with the old urine. Good Luck Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

We have had a problem with stray cats living in the crawlspace underneath our house. I recently bought/made screens for all the vents and access holes, so the cats being under there isn't a problem anymore.

However, the smell of them is still there. Very, very smelly urine/spray/whatever smell. I am going to crawl under there tomorrow and apply some sort of treatment, but my question is: what is best? I was thinking of using baking soda, but I don't know if there is something else that might be more effective.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

A cat crawled under our house some weeks go and took a piss. Smelled up the entire house. Fortunately it pissed on the plastic vapor barrier. I found it, tore out that small area and threw it away. Problem instantly solved.

I'd see if it did the same for you. If it peed on the dirt, I'd dig out as much as it took to get rid of the smell.

Reply to
John Harlow

Best way to get rid of cat urine odor is to get rid of the cats!!

Reply to
Batman

imho:

Baking soda, tries to absorb it, but it's still there. Soaps try washing it away, in this situation, away where? Deep into the soil.

You need to break it down, decompose it. My story, I had adopted a cat from a shelter, he didn't like my other cat, so he refused to use the litter box. He used a corner in my house. Cat was returned, with advice to adopt him out as a single cat/house type and then I started cleaning. All 'pet soil' cleaning products only tried to cover the smell. Then I read you need to break down the urine itself eliminate the smell. I went to petsmart and picked up an enzime solution, "simple solution" a gallon of it, and after following the direction, the smell was gone in a week.

You only need to introduce it to the area, if it's a moise soil under your porch, the enzines producing bacteria should reproduce quickly and work on elimnating the smell. It's possible bacteria is working now, but with the product you can speed up the process.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Bleach will kill the smell. Then splash polyurethane on the wood to seal whatever is stench is left. Worked for me.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Funny you should mention it. I just, as in a few days ago, finished building the backend and ecommerce for this web site:

It was a hellish eleven days to meet their media drop date.

I've never actually used this stuff although I certainly got a chance to read about it and ask folks inside the company about it. They say the claims are for real. The site designer has a dog and told me that Zero Odor works great... much better than Nature's Miracle, which I've used myself with mixed results at best.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

You can buy odor digester stuff from janitorial supply places cheaper than from pet stores usually. I use Liquid Alive odor digester. Hubby uses it in his rental homes on the carpets. I use it for the carpets and mattresses when the kids have been throwing up and missed the bucket, also when they were little and had accidents in the middle of the night. It's also great to add a splash to your laundry if you washed it then forgot it was in the washer for too long. Cat pee is harder than most odors to get rid of, might take more than one treatment if they were using the same spot over and over again. You need to keep the area damp with odor digester (whatever brand you choose) until the odor is gone. If you have or can borrow a black light, cat urine will glow when hit with the light (when it's dark outside of course) so you can find the spots that need treatment.

Melissa

replying to Melissa, jay Chrisman wrote: toss lime in crawl space. spread it all around, lime breaks down the bacteria and kills the smell. if it will work to kill the stench of pig poop it should do wonders for cat urine. plus its cheap...get it at any tractor supply, rural king or other farm supply store.

Reply to
jay Chrisman