eletrical question

I am trying to put a GFI outlet in the kitchen. There is a switch, which controls the garbage disposel, next to the outlet. When I took the cover off there were 2 white wires attached to 2 different screws on the left side of the outlet. On the right side of the outlet a black line is looped to a screw then goes to the left screw on the switch. A different black wire is then attached to the right screw on the switch. I am not sure what to do the bathroom did not look like this. If I use the gfi outlet in the disposel circuit won't it trip because of the higher power? Any help would helpful. Thank You I tried to look for pictures of my situaltion but could not find any.

This sounds like a _fairly_ simple setup, but can't tell for sure without seeing it.
Ie: you have an ordinary black and white 120V feed coming to the outlet. The other white wire on the outlet goes to the disposal cable. The other blackwire on the outlet goes to the switch, which comes back on the other black wire in the cable going to the disposal.
In other words, the outlet is fed directly, the disposal is fed in parallel (via the other two screws on the outlet), _except_ that the black wire goes thru the switch first.
If that analysis is correct, you just need to attach the black and white feed wires on the outlet to the hot and neutral "line" side of the GFCI, and the other black and white wires (going to the disposal) on the outlet to the "load" side of the GFCI respectively.
This results in both the outlet and disposal being GFCI protected.
Be careful - make sure you don't get the power feed and the disposal feed reversed on the GFCI. Also make sure that the black and white wires are attached the right way around on both the line and load side.
Make sure that the test button and disposal works when you're finished. If not, get professional help.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

GFCI. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a lot of nuisance trips. I would connect both black and whites to the load side of the GFCI with a pigtail.

I agree. Pretend "load" doesn't exist and reconnect disposal through the "line" side of GFCI.

Nuisance trips (if real) are rare, thus GFCI'ing the disposal should be harmless. And potentially a life-saver. Nothing worse than energizing a stainless sink and faucet... It's not as if a "nuisance trip" will cause all your groceries to rot or the basement flood.
I'd wire it to protect the disposal as I described, and if the OP had troubles with it, change it. After double checking to ensure that there really isn't a problem.
An inspector probably would probably agree, but permit either way.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est