Elementary carpentry question

Page 2 of 2

Set tape measure on floor with backside of measure facing floor and tape side facing up. Run tape up to top corner. Note measurement. Now, add the measurement given on case of tape measure. No stepstool needed.
nb

You are really out of the loop with pro tools these days. Go the to the Bosch tools site and look at the laser measuring things. The DLR165K is my favorite. One of the others may suit your needs better. Other manufacturers are in the fray, of course, so choices abound. If you like to spend money on upscale products, there is Leica and Hilti. Beware, though, if the device says 'XXX 1/6" that's exactly what it is. Cut accurately to that length and you have a press fit to struggle with. Doesn't mean you have to toss the folding rule. I still keep my antique Lufkin aluminum folding rule in my sewn in holster on the leg of my grubbies. (Don't know how else to describe that handy side pocket.) The lasers are absolutely vital if you are framing in for windows and doors. The diagonal measurements are spot on and when you set a new window in you can be sure that there will be an exact 1/4" (or whatever) gap all around. Same applies for closet framing, other interior framing. The power of the diagonal measurement and a level cannot be underestimated.
Joe
In typed: :: Alright, so this is Carpentry 101, but I'm gonna ask it :: anyhow. :: :: Question concerns taking measurements where there is an :: inside corner: how do you do it accurately? F'rinstance, :: say you're sheeting the inside of a closet and are :: measuring the wall height from floor to ceiling. You put :: the bottom of your tape against the floor, climb up on :: your stepstool or whatever, then wrap your tape around the :: top corner of the wall. What then? :: :: I mean, it's really hard to know just what exactly the :: actual height is. It *looks* like 93 5/8--no, make that :: 11/16--maybe 3/4--WTF? :: :: It almost makes me want to build myself a little "story :: pole", two long sticks grooved together with a little :: clamp to take exact inside measurements. (I think a :: sliding dovetail would work nicely here.) :: :: How do you handle this? How did carpenters do this in the :: olden days? What tricks do you use? How many times do you :: just cut a piece oversize, then trim to fit? :: :: :: -- :: The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about :: a decade ago. :: :: - Usenet
Doesn't your tape have a movable end-piece for inside/outside measurements, and on the body it should say "Add xx inches". Put the tape to the inside edges, lock it, pull it down, look at the length, add whatever is required for the tape body, and done. 've never seen a tape measure without that kind of feature; if yours doesn't have it, buy one that does.
On 3/3/2011 12:38 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Since my vision never was that great in dark small spaces, and reading the inside of a curved tape is a skill I never quite mastered anyway, I usually just cheated by making a witness mark on the wall at some nice round number, say 50 inches off the floor, and then measuring up from the mark. Just add 50 to whatever number you get from the top down, and there ya go.
--
aem sends...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

In the bad old days, I'd use my trusty Stanley Power-Lock and just extend it floor to ceiling, read off the distance and add the case offset. In the good new days I just use my Stanley laser measure and point and shoot.
On 3/3/2011 8:06 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Um, won't that blow a hole through the wall? :-)
TDD

Gotta use the LOW power setting.
--
aem sends...

On 3/3/2011 9:36 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I didn't know the things had a stun setting. ^_^
TDD

measurements.http://www.listoftools.com/images/measuring_inside_dimensions_with_a_ ...
Agreed. Folding rule for any inside measurements (closets, drawers, etc.) Doug D
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Elementary-carpentry-question-623993-.htm woodworker plans wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

-------------------------------------
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Elementary-carpentry-question-623993-.htm woodworker plans wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

-------------------------------------
bump your tape into one corner or the other and measure out 10 inches and make a mark, then measure from the other corner to the mark and add 10 inches. There you go no more trying to read the roll of the tape.
On 3/4/2011 6:59 PM woodworker plans spake thus:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Elementary-carpentry-question-623993-.htm
I think we got essentially the same answer about 10 replies up there. Which you would have known had you read this on Usenet, which is where I posted it, instead of the god-damned Homeowner's Hub web-scraping service. (Wonder if they'll post this reply there?)
--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 02:59:20 +0000, ross_at_montanasky_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (woodworker plans) wrote:

Use a GOOD tape measure andput the end of the tape case against one surgace, and the end of the tape against the other surface. Take measurement, ading the perscribed amount for the tape case.
Then put the "tab" of the tape over the end of the stock to be measured and mark the stock at the total length. It will be accurate because of the way the "tab" or "shoe" at the end of the tape is slotted - it moves EXACTLY the thickness of the "shoe" or "tab".
Gotta love my "accuratape" - add 4 inched to the measured distance - which has a lighted and magnified hairline like on a precision slierule allowing very accurate measurement, even in restricted light with old eyes.. It also has both a retractable "pin prick" marker and a socket for a pencil for accurate marking of length on the stock to be cut.

So why are you trying to measure it that accurately? Carpenters know the bottom is going to be covered by baseboard. and molding. It could be a couple of inches short and not matter. On the other hand if you really need this kind of accuracy get a folding measure. They have a little extension that slides out for measuring that last little bit.
Jimmie