electronic thermostat installation

hi

I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there are two red and two black wires)?

Pepper

Reply to
pepper

If you have to ask perhaps you need to hire an electrician. Not something you need to be messing with.

Reply to
jim

Is this a 240VAC baseboard? sounds like you might have got a thermostat for 120VAC that only breaks one leg of the wiring. Not sure if it's code compliant to do that with 240VAC or not but I'm pretty sure that remembering back to messing with my parents' house, the thermostats in each room were double pole.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Do ya' think maybe it's a good idea for starters to at least buy the right class of thermostat--- instead of trying to force-fit the wrong one? Your first clue is the number of connectors is wrong...

Reply to
John H. Holliday

The thermostat is rated for 240 VAC and the instructions say it is suitable for a 4-wire hook-up.

If it helps, I can send a picture of these instructions.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
pepper

*You can use a single pole thermostat for a two pole installation on a baseboard heater. I prefer not to do it that way for safety reasons. When the thermostat is off one leg on the heater will always have juice on it.

What you need to do is splice one hot leg and one load wire together. Than just follow the instructions for line and load on the new thermostat.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Ditto what John said, from a safety point , but also be sure that the amperage rating of the single pole unit is adequate for the amount of wattage you're looking to control

Reply to
RBM

I'm wondering if he has a 24 (twenty four) VAC themostat?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon