Electronic oven on the fritz

Hi,

No model#'s posted, but some common F1's....

F0 and F1 - Failed Thermistor Control - Replace Electronic Range Control (ERC)

F0 or F1 - Failed transistor in control - If code cannot be cancelled, replace the Electronic Range Control (ERC) or touch pad

F0 - F1 - F7 Stuck keypad may mean relay is turned on. Determine if problem is with the Key Panel or Control by:

  1. Pushing CLEAR/OFF pad.
  2. Disconnecting Ribbon Cable from control and waiting at least 30 minutes to see if Code recurs: If code recurs, problem is in the control. Replace control. If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Why are lightning and surges are the mythological causes of every failure? Even in the absence of any evidence or likelihood.

Presumably these electronic devices sat in a *condensing atmosphere* for days or weeks. Not for nothing do electronic components specs say 80 pct RH max, non-condensing.

Get the ambient humidity down and let them dry out for a similar period before you condemn them. Get a reliable hygrometer or psychrometer. Where you live your air conditioning is critical, and you ought to check the performance in terms of dehumidification. Anything over about 60 pct RH will cause you no end of costly problems, more costly than good air conditioning.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

We live in the Houston area, so we evacuated when hurricane Rita threatened last week. We made the mistake of leaving the electricity turned on to the house. When we returned, it was obvious from the clocks that the juice had failed for some period while we were gone. There must have been some strong thunderstorms because the microwave and the oven were both damaged. The microwave had a surge protector on it (because of a previous strike that fried the original) but the LED panel was still damaged.

The oven, an 11 year old GE with electronic controls didn't fare as well. As long as power is applied the oven beeps continuously and the display shows "F1". Pushing the "clear" button does nothing. Pushing "clock" will stop the beeping temporarily (about 30 seconds) but then the beeping returns. Turning the power off at the circuit breaker for a while and then back on has no effect.

Any suggestions, please?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Consider fixing the reason for that failure. A plug-in protector does not even claim to protect from what is suspected harmed electronics. Effective protection (which also costs tens of times less money per protected appliance) is a 'whole house' protector. Effective because it is earthed (assuming a dwelling's earth ground meets or exceeds post 1990 NEC requirements).

Effective 'whole house' protectors are sold in Lowes (GE and Cutler-Hammer) and in Home Depot (Intermatic). Other responsible protector manufacturers are Siemens, Leviton, Polyphaser, and Square D. Your protector was from what manufacturer?

What does that plug-> Thanks for the detailed reply, Jeff. Looks like I need a new ERC.

Reply to
w_tom

Thanks for the detailed reply, Jeff. Looks like I need a new ERC. I'll have to compare the cost of the ERC to a new oven and go from there. BTW, the model # is: JKP14WOP3WG.

Thanks again,

Alex

Reply to
Alex