electronic gas oven won't light

My Caloric gas oven, about 1988 vintage, recently quit. No gas odor- so is it likely thermostat problem? and where would that be located? Or perhaps switch circuits? I read once that you can cook a turkey in your dishwasher- but don't think I want to go there...
How is the gas ignited? Do you use a match, is there a spark or a glowbar or pilot light?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Well, I'm no the OP, but am interested in the thread as my gas oven will not light also. It uses an igniter to light the gas.
When the oven temp setting knob is turned, nothing happens. No spark, no flame, no gas odor either. Now the igniters for the cooktop do work and I can use the top of the stove, but not the oven.
Would be nice to use the oven to cook our bird in a week, don't know if I'd be interested in using the dishwasher, but let's have those instructions. I can't wait to see the look on my wife's face <grin>
Rick PS - I'm not at home, and can't recall make/model...
Rick, did it use to "snap" a spark when it did work, or did it quietly start? The question is does it use a glow bar or does it use a spark. Many ovens use a glow bar rather than a spark like they may use on the top burners.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Now you got me thinking... The top burners 'snap', but the oven/broiler has a "U" shaped glow bar -
Rick

instructions.
Yea, and glowbars do burn out. Don't touch one, a finger print can burn it out quickly.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
If it's anything like the glow bar in my gas dryer, this is going to be a snap!!
Rick -- Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet
: > > > > How is the gas ignited? Do you use a match, is there a spark or : a : > > > > glowbar or pilot light? : > > > > : > > > > -- : > > > : > > > Well, I'm no the OP, but am interested in the thread as my gas oven : will : > > not : > > > light also. It uses an igniter to light the gas. : > > > : > > > When the oven temp setting knob is turned, nothing happens. No spark, : no : > > > flame, no gas odor either. Now the igniters for the cooktop do work : and : > I : > > > can use the top of the stove, but not the oven. : > > > : > > > Would be nice to use the oven to cook our bird in a week, don't know : if : > > I'd : > > > be interested in using the dishwasher, but let's have those : > instructions. : > > I : > > > can't wait to see the look on my wife's face <grin> : > > > : > > > Rick : > > > PS - I'm not at home, and can't recall make/model... : > > > : > > > : > > : > > : > : > : :

Is it glowing *at all* when the oven is turned on?

Getting it would likely help. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=gas+range
=~~~~~~

Later the same day... Well I see the broiler igniter works but only on the self-clean setting...Repairclinic.com suggested stove clock might be stuck on clean setting, but it doesn't appear to be. Neither igniter- bake or broil lights up on bake or broil setting- I gather thermostat is not involved in broil setting thus would seem to be ruled out as cause. Is that correct? I took a look at temp switch since it looked rusty on top, but looked clean inside and contacts ok. I guess that leaves setting switch or wiring. btw, do you put the turkey gravy in the soap or the rinse-aid dispenser?
Are you aware that the ovens on gas ranges generally have a self lighting device. If that device (spark, glow bar or standing pilot) is not functional it will not work. In addition they may have a sensor to verify that the main burner has lit and if that is not sensed, it will shut it down. Sensors and ignition devices can go bad, not just the temperature and switch devices.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sev) wrote in message

Hi,
Model#? Glow coil ignition?...pilot flame ignition? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
To little info to know what may be wrong :(
*Some* common gas range info... http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html
jeff.
: : jeff. : : Appliance Repair Aid : http://www.applianceaid.com /
Thanks Jeff! I think you (website) 'solved' a dryer belt problem awhile back...
Rick
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

Thanks Joseph and Jeff for your responses. The stove is a Caloric Model RSS380-UK, Serial 6655828 It uses glow bar igniters. Detailed info at Repairclinic.com doesn't mention a sensor, says that bimetal gas safety valve is in series with igniters, actuates in response to resistance drop as igniter heats up, draws 2.5- 3.0 amps in older models, slightly higher - I think 3.2- 3.6 in newer models, igniter may light up and still be bad- I've been learning more than I ever knew about gas ovens.... As I say, my symptoms are: broil igniter does glow, but only with main switch on clean and electronic clock also on self-clean. Neither igniter lights on broil or bake- I touched surrounding safety cages- both cold. (I take your advisement about fingerprints on igniters- heard of this with auto headlight bulbs, but would have thought 2000 deg. F would just burn it off). Thermostat replacement seems reasonable costwise, but is that involved in broil circuit? I gather main switch is expensive- but there is also a fuse, yes? Where would it be? Ok, I'll go check the sites Jeff suggested.

If the bake ignitor never glows even a little bit, it could be a problem in the oven valve, oven ignitor or oven control circuit.
Both the bake valve and ignitor should be able to be tested for continuity to see if open or not. If either are open it is likely defective and needs to be replaced. Those components just having continuity does *not* necessarily mean they're good but no continuity does mean they are definitely bad.

Not only does you model have an electronic control but it also looks to have a PC board used in conjunction with the control which could be the problem as well.

There is a fuse but I'm afraid I don't know where it is located on your model, sorry. I would think it should be for the *whole* oven however so if any part of it is working, an open fuse may not be the cause.
You can see some of the parts used on your range at the following links.
Bake/Broil Ignitor (1 each) http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc !98
Dual Oven Valve http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc26806
Fuse http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc '95
Electronic control http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc41218