Electrolux Model E Canister Vacuum

Here's a relic. These were originally manufactured in the mid 50's. Lot of them still around and still going strong. Mine, which is third- or fourth-hand, probably, and not used much, started getting a bit noisy. Figured I'd check the bearings and refresh the grease. The top bearing was right on top, easy to get to. Bottom bearing was bit more of a challenge, but I figured out the motor had to be rocked out of the canister.

There's a housing around the big fan at the bottom, four bolts and nuts around the sides. Undid the bolts, the bottom half gave about 1/3" but gave no more. Tried to unscrew it, it just spins with the shaft. Holding on to the shaft from the top, it just spins without the shaft. Back at the top of the motor, unscrewed another bunch of bolts in ridiculously inacessible locations that only released a big rubber gasket.

The last possibility I see is a nut at the bottom of the shaft. It looks like there's an opening in it possibly for an allen wrench, but neither hex or torx bit grabs.

How do I get the U*(UN U)&(*) bottom off to get at the bottom bearing???

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Reply to
MarkyT