electrified fence

RB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spamfree.com:

What cat is going to go after a bird as large as a blue heron? And -swim- to get it? You should have taped that one for some TV "funniest video" show.

BTW,I have a blue heron that fishes in the retention pond a few yards from my apartment.Sometimes,it lands on a building's roof peak,and overlooks the pond and a small "lake"(bigger pond).It eats baby ducks like they were gumdrops.I watched one eat 9 baby ducks in a row one day.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Daniel L. Belton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

One has to regard any large dog to be dangerous.Who knows what will set one off???? And while they may be friendly while a family member is around,other times,they could be dangerous.Especially to small children or other pets.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

According to Gray asphalt :

It's not going to work. The wireless collars _might_ (if they're smart enough to continue the shock once past the perimeter), but there's no way you can rig an electrified strand fence to stop a cat.

[Heck, goats need four wires, and cats are considerably more agile...]

As for your original question: at the voltages and current these things operate at, 150' won't matter.

Farmers routinely put 100s (or even thousands) of yards of wire on units just like this (only a bit more "industrial", seldom off D cells ;-).

Reply to
Chris Lewis

But the D cell things will work for about 150 feet or so... and it doesn't matter how long the extensions are that extend out to shock my cats?

Thanks, I'm sure everyone is right that this won't work but I don't even want to try if the electricity isn't adequate. The company says it can go for up to a mile (I should have called before posting; I just got off the phone)

Thanks again. I'll try to post if it works. If I end up in an insane asylum, I might not be able to post.

Reply to
Gray asphalt

"Gray asphalt" wrote in news:5yWfc.10089$dZ1.6187@fed1read04:

Fence chargers are intended for large FARM animals,using them on small animals will kill them.Do you want to kill your cats? (or someone else's?)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You know that your neighbor has put himself in a very bad predicament... By telling you that the dog bites, he has admitted that the dog has agressive tendencys and he knows about them. Now if the dog does bite anyone, chances are that the dog will be put to sleep, and the owner will be liable. Plus, he is now leaving himself open to all kinds of lawsuits.

That's the same s putting up a sign "Beware of Dog"... You don't ever want to do that... If by chance anything happens, then the courts see it as you knowing that the dog is agressive, and will usually rule against you, even if someone wanders into your yard, ignoring the sign...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

: > But the D cell things will work for about 150 feet or so... and it : > doesn't matter how long the extensions are that extend out to : > shock my cats? : >

: > Thanks, I'm sure everyone is right that this won't work but I don't : > even want to try if the electricity isn't adequate. The company says : > it can go for up to a mile (I should have called before posting; I : > just got off the phone) : >

: > Thanks again. I'll try to post if it works. If I end up in an insane : > asylum, I might not be able to post. : >

: >

: >

: >

: >

: : Fence chargers are intended for large FARM animals,using them on small : animals will kill them.Do you want to kill your cats? (or someone else's?) : : -- : Jim Yanik : jyanik-at-kua.net

It's a 2 D-cell version. I have those things that reduce the shock. I've shocked myself and other with it, so I know how strong it is and it is advertised as a small animal version at their website and the tech people tell me it's for small animals and I'm going to start it out so low that it won't hurt a Chihuahua's testicle.

Thanks for being concerned. I appreciate that and I would do the same thing. : -)

Reply to
Gray asphalt

Maine Coon cat. My biggest fear is that one of the Bald Eagles that have taken to feeding here will take a liking to the cat. I saw one take a sea gull the other day. Not a pretty sight.

RB

Reply to
RB

According to RB :

I wouldn't worry too much about a Maine Coon. They're _big_ (often

20lbs or more), and are pretty good at defending themselves.

Further, Bald Eagles are just about as close to being vultures as you can get (without being called a vulture), and will generally not take on anything sizeable that can fight back. They prefer to steal fish from other birds (like Ospreys).

Golden Eagles on the other hand...

Reply to
Chris Lewis