electrified fence

Page 2 of 2

Or just a big screen-style pool enclosure.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Question.... If it's a new neighbor... how do you know that their rotweiller is dangerous?
Rotweillers can be very loving and friendly dogs. It all depends on how they are raised. Contrary to populer belief, ALL rotweillers are NOT dangerous.
wrote: : : >I need to put an electrified fence to keep my cats in : >the backyard. There has to be two things to that the : >cat touches since they won't be on the ground to : >ground the connection. I bought a D cell powered : >power source that shocks pretty good and some : >capacitors or whatever that cut the voltage to almost : >nothing that I can adjust to find something uncomfortable : >but not strong enough to cause them to jump into a : >dangerous place. : > : >How do I know how the power will be affected by the : >length of the wire? Can you help me with a way to set : >up the two sets of wires on a block wall that will shock : >my cats? : > : >I know this sounds cruel but we have tried for over a : >year to keep them in and a new neighbor has a rotweiller : >that is dangerous. We've lost one cat already to another : >dog further down the road. : > : >Thanks. I appreciate your help. : > : : : Question.... If it's a new neighbor... how do you know that their : rotweiller is dangerous? : : Rotweillers can be very loving and friendly dogs. It all depends on : how they are raised. Contrary to populer belief, ALL rotweillers are : NOT dangerous.
One of my favorite dogs, (mother-in-laws) is a rotweiler. But the neighbor's dog barks loud tries to get through the gate, and neighbor told me that he bites. : -)
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:33:03 -0700, "Gray asphalt"

You know that your neighbor has put himself in a very bad predicament... By telling you that the dog bites, he has admitted that the dog has agressive tendencys and he knows about them. Now if the dog does bite anyone, chances are that the dog will be put to sleep, and the owner will be liable. Plus, he is now leaving himself open to all kinds of lawsuits.
That's the same s putting up a sign "Beware of Dog"... You don't ever want to do that... If by chance anything happens, then the courts see it as you knowing that the dog is agressive, and will usually rule against you, even if someone wanders into your yard, ignoring the sign...

One has to regard any large dog to be dangerous.Who knows what will set one off???? And while they may be friendly while a family member is around,other times,they could be dangerous.Especially to small children or other pets.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

It's not going to work. The wireless collars _might_ (if they're smart enough to continue the shock once past the perimeter), but there's no way you can rig an electrified strand fence to stop a cat.
[Heck, goats need four wires, and cats are considerably more agile...]
As for your original question: at the voltages and current these things operate at, 150' won't matter.
Farmers routinely put 100s (or even thousands) of yards of wire on units just like this (only a bit more "industrial", seldom off D cells ;-).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
: > I need to put an electrified fence to keep my cats in : > the backyard. : : It's not going to work. The wireless collars _might_ : (if they're smart enough to continue the shock once : past the perimeter), but there's no way you can rig : an electrified strand fence to stop a cat. : : [Heck, goats need four wires, and cats are considerably more : agile...] : : As for your original question: at the voltages and current these : things operate at, 150' won't matter. : : Farmers routinely put 100s (or even thousands) of yards of wire : on units just like this (only a bit more "industrial", seldom : off D cells ;-). : -- : Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est : It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.

Fence chargers are intended for large FARM animals,using them on small animals will kill them.Do you want to kill your cats? (or someone else's?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
[...]
It's a 2 D-cell version. I have those things that reduce the shock. I've shocked myself and other with it, so I know how strong it is and it is advertised as a small animal version at their website and the tech people tell me it's for small animals and I'm going to start it out so low that it won't hurt a Chihuahua's testicle.
Thanks for being concerned. I appreciate that and I would do the same thing. : -)